Dodger - Bimini Connector

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Hi all!
I plan to make dodger-bimini connector over the hard water season. While I do very much have an idea as to how to make it and how I want it to function, I am looking for input of those of you, who already have such connector on your boats.
My main question is about the attachment method. I want "tight" fit, for starters and there will definitely be a zipper on the dodger section. What I wonder is how the connector attaches to the other side? Is it zipper as well or another method is used? If possible, please post photos of your existing setup.
Big thanks!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Double zipper on my previous. Easy put up and taken down. You can't see the main sail through it. Dermatologist approved!

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We have a clear connector, zippered to dodger and bimini. They used 4 zippers, all meet in the middle. It is only about 16" wide. The Bimini is a bit higher than the dodger. Once it is zipped in place the front hoop on the bimini is adjusted to make it quite tight.

View media item 16153Good luck, Bob

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
Zippers on both sides. Works fine last a long time.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Thanks all for replies! So zipper on both sides it will be :)
Now, how are the zippers hidden? Would you be able to post a photo? I imagine under a flap of some sort. Is the flap made from Sunbrella or vinyl? Photos, photos, photos please :rolleyes:

Do you find it difficult to zipper the second side of the connector, considering the fact that it should be under tension (to connector that is)?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Thanks all for replies! So zipper on both sides it will be :)
Now, how are the zippers hidden? Would you be able to post a photo? I imagine under a flap of some sort. Is the flap made from Sunbrella or vinyl? Photos, photos, photos please :rolleyes:

Do you find it difficult to zipper the second side of the connector, considering the fact that it should be under tension (to connector that is)?
First, mine is like Bob's. It is a clear filler piece that zips to the center in four parts. The advantage of that is that you can unzip partly for ventilation. Be careful regarding how snug you make it. Everything will shrink over time to some degree making the piece harder to install. All of the zippers have a fabric flap over them. When you scope out the flap, make sure you orient it so that rainwater will run over it, not be dammed by it. In other words, the stitched portion should be higher than the end of the flap.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
My connector is zippered. One zipper on fwd end, fwd of the aft bow on the dodger. Two zippers both starting at centerline on the aft end attaching to the higher bimini. The sunbrella flap over the aft zipper is "open" on the fwd side as this is the lower edge. However, since this is the fwd edge, it is wide enough to also have Velcro to hold it down over the zipper.