Dodger and Bimini for Cat 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
With so many Cat 30s out there, one would think that there would be an abundance of parts... I am specifically looking for (perfectly happy with used, if anyone is interested in selling theirs) a dodger (and bimini - secondary) that fits Cat 30. After spending many hours going through websites and making calls, i am still not able to find a place that has Cat 30 dodgers, everything seems to be labeled "custom"? Any ideas on good places/companies that you have experience with?

Thanks a lot!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
There's only one place I know that makes a mail-order dodger, Island Nautical.

Dodgers are tricky to fit and even trickier to install. We tried to sell them for several years but had quite a bit of trouble with companionway variations from boat to boat, even boats of the same model and year. Even if you can find one used there's no guarantee it will fit your boat.

We recommend using a local shop and having one made specifically for your boat and your needs.

Biminis and pretty much every other canvas cover on the boat, no problem, but dodgers are tough.

Oct 3, 2010
oday 31 noank
west coast or California dodgers are more boxy loking and have zip off side panels...east coast or traditional dodgers are more rounded and are one piece

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there was another thread just this week about the diff in e coast dodgers and west coast dodgers that had a good insite on the subject.....one person said that theeast coast dogers are in brooklyn and the west coast dodgers are in L.A....but there is some good input on that thread as welll...

regards

woody

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
arkady,

Phil Herring is right. Dodgers are soemthing that YOU have to design in conjunction with your dodger-maker. There are all sorts of features that YOU need to decide upon. East coast west coast, IMHO, is just nonsense. I'd never heard it before last week's question popped up, and I, too, liked the Brooklyn answer!!! :):):)

The features you need to consider, as MAJOR issues, are height, side and aft handrails, and the shape and material options for the "windows."

Our PO was a very, very short man. I am 5'-9", but I really appreciated the fact that our dodger is LOW.

You can read more here, and if you click on the links on both pages, you find more pictures and more ideas that only YOU can answer.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7161.15.html

Happy reading.

PS - if you're in a hot climate, the color is important, too. The latest issue of Mainsheet magazine included a note about how much hotter a dark dodger is in the heat of Mexico - 30 degree difference. Yikes.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2010
oday 31 noank
I purchased my canvas from Custom Marine Canvas in Noank ct. They have received many awards from the industry associations. they asked me if I wanted a traditional style dodger or a California style. I wasn't aware of these terms but I guess the best providers of canvas must know what they are selling whether we have heard the terms or not.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
i just met with our local canvas guy who will be doing the dodger and bimini for us. Unfortunately, living in Fairfield has its price, literally and figuratively.. the cost for both is close to $4.5k. He is very highly regarded and his stuff is considered of premium quality - Miller Marine Canvas in Milford CT. I now know what questions to ask! Thanks a lot for great suggestions, even those involving the ex-Brooklyn Dodgers. Times change...

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
suggest you have them make vertical slits in the dodger windows for easy use of traveler lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.