Dodger and Bimini features you love?

Aug 12, 2013
Catalina 320 Vancouver
I am buying a boat that has the framing for the dodger and bimini. I like the design and plan to keep the frame. If you were in my position of commissioning the design of such yourself, what features would you absolutely include.

The frame design is such that the bimini is slightly higher than the dodger with a connecting cloth that I plan to have windows in, although the angle from one to the other is quite shallow. The only other decision is that we will zipping 400 W of solar into the top. I have done the same with my current boat and it has worked very well (very little shade, easy to remove and install so store them during the winter months for years more use etc).

Your thoughts? What do you love?

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 Victoria BC
When I had the dodger built for my Crown 34, one of the handiest features was a little pocket, under the top at the rear that held a one cell Maglite. Perfect for those late night arrivals when you need a light to open the boat or what have you. Out of sight but handy.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Handles on the outside for going forward.
Easily removed center panel in the dodger for ventilation at anchor.
Strong frame for heaving oneself around.
Not needing foulies on San Francisco Bay.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

If possible, both the bimini and dodger should be easy to stow. When racing I fold my dodger down (better sight lines, less windage), and on cooler days I fold up the bimini and enjoy the sun. My bimini has a nice cover that allows the stowed bimini to stay up and out of the way. My bimini has windows in it so I can see the mainsail trim from the helm. That's nice to have but I wish I had a way to cover the window when lounging.

Barry