Documentation

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I just received the letter from U.S. Vessel Documentation which hopefully we all know is a scam. Just to make sure no one falls into this trap as there are more than one of these companies out there, I'd like to help you remember who your dealing with. Documentation is done by the United States Coast Guard (USCG). They are the first branch of our military and as such their official web sites end in .mil. If you start the online form to renew your doc you will be transferred to a federal government accounting site, more or less as they take your money, which ends in .gov. If you see .com .us .anything other than .mil and .gov be wary. The USCG does have a .org site or two but they are not for official records they are for publicity. Hope this helps

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm pretty sure I started the thread on this scam alert. If it is not $26.oo, it's a scam.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Yes Ron, I read your thread. I just received one of the letters for the first time this year and knew what it was in part for your thread. Just wanted to give everyone as much info as possible so that we can help shut them down as a group.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Another way to tell is that these companies advertise multi-year renewals, usually at the full, government first year, price/year... the real government renewal process is ONLY annual. They do not offer multi-year renewal; called in hopes there is a way to do that - getting a new certificate is a pain when out of country.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
In all cases, renewal can be handled via a USCG web page. The hassle can be in trying to get the new certificate sent to wherever one happens to be at the time...

A place to start on-line renewal is: http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...s-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/. Another, and probably better, web page is: http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...-Documentation-Center-Instructions-and-Forms/.

The USCG renewal fee is currently $26 whereas the first time filing fee is $133. The companies offering multi-year renewal typically charge $133 per year for the renewals: a whopping extra $107 per year!!

Moke

Aug 2, 2012
Cape Dory 36 Biddeford, Maine
The USCG renewal fee is currently $26 whereas the first time filing fee is $133. The companies offering multi-year renewal typically charge $133 per year for the renewals: a whopping extra $107 per year!!
I was just scammed out of $800 that would have cost me $200 if I had known this was not an official site. It looks official but as people have noted unless it is .mil or .gov it is a third party site that will take your money. I have heard that they do deliver the documentation but it is the deception of the site posing as the official site and the high cost that has me riled!

BEWARE!!

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Received my scam letter over the weekend. I've got a shredder for things like this. Cost me $.49 to send it back to them. But it was cheap fun.

Aug 9, 2011
Pearson 30 Chicago
Government sources that, for obvious reasons, cannot be disclosed here report that the USCG is well aware of these scams, [see this link for the official USCG position on subject, which has links to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1a25ee8and] report that duped mariners have been fighting back, many successfully, by employing some or all of the following:
1) Immediately contact your credit card company, and dispute the charge as fraudulent. Good luck getting the registry company to answer their phone, but do email them and mail them a copy of your request to cancel any charges. There may be some pushback on this, as the firms involved have their lawyers send nastygrams to the credit card companies, claiming how legitimate they are. It sometimes takes several tries with screenshots of the bogus claims to get them to refund your money. Respectfully ask your credit card company to investigate, and to remove these companies from their list of acceptable merchants.
2) Call the USCG documentation office in Falling waters, WV,(800) 799-8362 and tell them you have been duped, and not to process any renewals until they see the renewal form and check/credit card from you, from your address on the documentation, for the $26 annual fee.
3) Contact the Dept.Homeland Security Office of Inspector General, and file a complaint. You won't be the first person they have heard from.[https://www.oig.dhs.gov/hotline] The FBI has a similar site to file complaints on private firms who attempt to pass themselves off as agencies the federal government.
[https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx]
4) Display of the USCG, DHS, and Customs and Border Protection emblems on their websites without written permission from the Commandant of the CG, etc. is a violation of the CFRs, and several firms have now removed them-probably not out of the goodness of there hearts.