Documentation Scam is unnecessary

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I just received a letter from "U.S. Vessel Documentation" asking me to renew my documentation - I think it is not yet due. They do mention a fee and that they are a private firm and do charge a service fee. Their web address is www.uscgdocumentation.us/. They charge $75. Going directly to the USCG documentation center costs $26.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Sadly Just another scam!
But Bob if you ARE interested, I will do that for just $60..... saving you money...:biggrin: (OK the Devil made me do it!) :laugh:

Aug 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Dana Point, CA.
Hi Bob,

I got fooled too. It's not exactly a scam, because they did provide the new documentation. They made contact about three months prior to my normal date...and the same day my "new" documentation came, the Coast Guard sent an email letting me know it was time to renew.

Wont fall for that one again next year,

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 36 MkII E. Greenwich, RI
Not a scam. You do get what you pay for.

When I purchased my boat, the broker tried to get me to go through one of these agencies. The cost was $600 for the service. I refused. The previous owner filled out and signed the reverse of the current documentation and I submitted it to the NVDC with the appropriate fee.

These agencies are typically not scammers. They simply provide a service to manage vessel documents for those who could not be bothered. Additionally, if you finance a boat, the lender usually initiates the documentation with these services and passes the cost on to the borrower. They do this to protect themselves as the agency conducts a title search to ensure proper ownership and to make certain there are no mechanic's liens, etc.

I wouldn't use them, but there are those who do.

Cheers

Bob

Lazybones - 1999 Catalina 36 MkII, #1731
E. Greenwich, RI