Dockside water: Is it worth it?

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
My wife and I go through the 34 gallons of fresh water in the tank quicker than I like. I looked into Beneteau options to increase the supply. The optional 50 gallon tank is no longer an option since installing that now into the boat is nearly $2,500. The dockside water connection installation is about $490, so I'm thinking that might work.

Anyone have the dockside water connection? Where, exactly, is it installed? Does it work well? Was it worth getting?

I know the downside of the dockside water connection is that it only working when the boat is in a slip. Still, it may be useful.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
I installed a fresh water inlet for dock water for the same reason. It is great and nice to not have to ration water so compulsively. BUT.... be sure to use a pressure regulator on the dock spigot. This one is adjustable and I run it at about 30 psi.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RRCWGD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I installed the water inlet next to the transom shower controls. $490 seems a fair price. Be sure they install it with the appropriate valves and connections so you can fill your water tanks from inside the boat as well.
My dock water gets up to 80 psi, and one day that I did not use the regulator one of my hoses blew off of the hot water heater. LUCKILY I was working on the boat and I heard it blow. It would have flooded the boat. The March issue of Sail Mag has an article on installing a water shutoff solenoid that is connected to the bilge pump that would shut off the dock water supply in case of flood. I am in the middle of that installation. Meanwhile, if you do not use such a shutoff system, ALWAYS shut off the the dock water supply to the boat when leaving; easier said than done.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I put a shore water supply fitting and plumbing into our last two boats for less than $100. It’s hard to imagine anyone wanting $2500 to do that.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Don: The $2,500 was for installing a 50 gallon water tank under the forward berth.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don: The $2,500 was for installing a 50 gallon water tank under the forward berth.
I need to learn to read:banghead:.

Th other poster makes a good point about making sure whomever does this included both a pressure reducer and shut-off valve. Forget who makes a combination one (Shurflo??) but your boat plumbing will be happier.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I have a shore water connection on my Hunter 46 installed in the aft lazarette as shown in the attached photo. Then a pressure regulator and check valve with a water line tied in downstream of the water pump. My shutoff valve is at the dock water supply. Whenever I leave the boat for a short time I shutoff the water as HE cautions. When I leave the boat for any extended period of time I disconnect the water at the dock using a quick disconnect and prior to connecting the hose to the boat I flush the line since insects can make their way into the hose while you are away and that can plug the check valve. The link shows a video on installing a shore water connection.

Attachments

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
And, don't forget the "Remove before flight" pendant!

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
We got a municipal water connection as a factory Beneteau option on our newly commissioned 41.1 Relatively inexpensive as a factory option, well worth the price. The inlet is right next to the transom shower head and manual bilge pump. It came installed as a water hose quick release nipple; I had to figure out on my own that I needed to buy a quick release head for the water hose in order to make the connection. Like helmfam above, on the 3rd day the dockside water pressure blew that connection right out of the boat! I then added an inline water hose pressure regulator (maybe $10) and a heavy duty water hose on/off valve (maybe $15) and it's been fine ever since. Added benefit of the on/off valve is I can turn the water off at the boat end, unscrew the municipal water hardware and screw on the spray spigot for cleaning without going all the way to the dockside connection. Overall I find the municipal connection most useful when spending two or more days dockside, or when there are a lot of guests on board for dinner or sundowners. It minimizes the amount of time I spend refilling the fresh water tanks (which always seems to take forever and even longer when the sun is blazing down) to the point I worry a little that I'm not turning the water over in the fresh tanks as often as I used to.