Dockside electric pressure washer?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi all,
Looks like I need to get one of those for some special dockside jobs. Not too big. Cleaning the dinghy bottom and jobs of similar size. Any favorites? Like one not to breakdown after two uses, etc.:huh:
KG

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’m wondering what PSI. Seems the common range is btw about 1500 and 3000 psi, many models near 2000. Of course, the one-hand carry version is appealing, but lower psi.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For the kind of power washing we do, boat deck, around the house etc, the lower PSI is good enough. Higher PSIs can more easily damage wood and sealants.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I got a Ryobi which has run and run and run. Never used it except on lowest PSI. As long as you keep the works above water you can use the wand under water to clean boats or swimming pools. It also has myriad uses around house and garden. Cost not much over $100

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
We've had a Karcher electric machine for years and it always works. Tried it one season on the boat and was impressed with the results. Got rid of that deep down grimy stuff. Normally brush wash the boat deck.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is a lottery as far as which will last the longer. Have had a few and for me the best has been a Sun Joe from Home Depot. A 2000 PSI will be the best for general work and don't forget to get a set of different nozzles.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I got a cheapo from Harbor Freight about 5 years ago. I only use it just a few times a year but it is still going strong. I think I paid 79.95 for it on sale. Brand was Pacific Hydrostar but that changes from year to year.

Jan 11, 2014
I'm in the process of "dreamstorming a new water system. The tanks have been scrubbed and cleaned, kink was repaired for the galley line, and I eliminated the overboard discharge, So I am thinking of using the thru hull to connect a 110 volt garden pump plumbed to the anchor locker, with R/V hose connect, for anchor wash down and those Dam bay flies, I'll be getting a 900 watt 2 stroke generator for on board and away power. 40 psi will be enough and the 110 volt pump is nothing for the generator..
Why not install a 12v wash down pump? It will be way less expensive than a generator and a garden pump and safer. No gas to carry and 12v is safer around freshwater.

Of course if you are looking to be the least popular boat in the anchorage, by all means fire up the generator.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1616325004557.png

Greenworks 1500 PSI Electric Pressure Washer
Found it on sale last year at Lowe’s. $79. Worked to clean up the decks. Get rid of the winter moss and construction dust that had descended on the marina.
It is not like the paint peeling, gravel lifting gas powered sprayer I use around the house.

Only used one year. Easy to carry and store. Compact size. Meets the limited use on the boat combined with soap and brush.

Jan 11, 2014
View attachment 191840
Greenworks 1500 PSI Electric Pressure Washer
Found it on sale last year at Lowe’s. $79. Worked to clean up the decks. Get rid of the winter moss and construction dust that had descended on the marina.
It is not like the paint peeling, gravel lifting gas powered sprayer I use around the house.

Only used one year. Easy to carry and store. Compact size. Meets the limited use on the boat combined with soap and brush.
That's the one. I have.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks all!
Lowes here in LB is stocking a portable (hand-carry) 1700 psi Craftsman-labeled unit @ $99. I brought and tried it yesterday using the one nozzle that came with. Actually, an impressive little unit but I’d not wish one lower than 1700 psi. Should have gotten a unit when I brought the inflatable rib. Could have saved myself a lot of work hand-cleaning the bottom.

There is no paint on the bottom of the rib. I have no stern davits, no floating platform in the slip to haul out on, and no storage on a dock-side rack. I hoist it along side using a 6x purchase block-and-fall suspended from the spin halyard for interim “storage” out of the water, but I can’t do that easily with the OB mounted. If using, say, for regular harbor excursions near happy hours, I leave it in the water under the port quarter with OB mounted for two or three weeks at a time. Then remove the OB, haul it (dink) up and usually onto the foredeck and then invert it to clean the bottom, etc. With the pressure washer, I can now clean the bottom satisfactorily while the dink is suspended; i.e., no need to haul onto deck or dock to invert.

Yes. It’s all ridiculously cumbersome and inefficient. But adapting the spirit of Churchill’s remark about the democracy being the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried...well, the same here on how to manage regular use of (in harbor) a 9.5 ft inflatable rib from a slipped sailboat. :huh: Just FYI, putting on an anti-fouling bottom at the yard cost as much as the dink itself, if not more.

Last edited:

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
This is the SunJoe I have. It's been great. Can't do the boat hull but does the dinghy and is really fantastic for the nonskid on the decks. You also don't need a marina dock. It uses only 1.5 gal/min so works fine off the boat's fresh water system and inverter. Small - I store it in a milk crate under the deck. Has a three year replacement warranty - don't know how they do that for $84. https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-SPX2...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl