Docking

Jun 28, 2009
hunter 23 Lake Hefner
I was so frustrated the first 1/2 dozen or so times my first season with my docking technique I really started questioning my ability to control my boat.
Then I was shown how to install a bridle system to keep my boat in the slip while docking and departing, no matter what the wind.
The bridle guides the boat in and if needed I can pick up one of the bridle lines and pull the boat in.
The fender on the bridle keeps me from hitting the dock if coming in too hot and the lines keep me from drifting into my neighbors boat.
That and learning to use a spring line to hold the boat against the finger pier has let me solo dock even when I have others on the boat.

As for extra controls on the OB, I steer with my rudder, leaving the OB straight. I only control the shifter and most times leave it at idle. I dock into the prevailing wind which does help.
Attached is a drawing of the bridle set up in my slip and a photo of the front of the bridle.

As other posters have said, "Never go faster than your willing to hit your dock"
This is what I do. Works Great

Kivalo

Jun 5, 2011
Hunter 260 Owasco Lake
You stated you issue was seeing the bow while holding the tiller and working the engine controls.

One solution I have seen is to remount the engine controls somewhere higher to allow you to see better.

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
Yup parking a truck. My 23.5 has no starboard turn with the motor. A design flaw. I'm in a tight marina. I have to full throttle backward out of slip to get rudder response. Turn full starboard, then full throttle and full port with motor and rudder to clear dock. Scares **** out of newbies. Only other option is boat pole and ricochet off other boats

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
I was so frustrated the first 1/2 dozen or so times my first season with my docking technique I really started questioning my ability to control my boat.
Then I was shown how to install a bridle system to keep my boat in the slip while docking and departing, no matter what the wind.
The bridle guides the boat in and if needed I can pick up one of the bridle lines and pull the boat in.
The fender on the bridle keeps me from hitting the dock if coming in too hot and the lines keep me from drifting into my neighbors boat.
That and learning to use a spring line to hold the boat against the finger pier has let me solo dock even when I have others on the boat.

As for extra controls on the OB, I steer with my rudder, leaving the OB straight. I only control the shifter and most times leave it at idle. I dock into the prevailing wind which does help.
Attached is a drawing of the bridle set up in my slip and a photo of the front of the bridle.

As other posters have said, "Never go faster than your willing to hit your dock"
I am curious about the bridle. What is it? Would like to see a pic if possible. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Timothy C on the 23.5

Have you considered a a rudder to motor connector. Steering the motor with the rudder when docking sure helps.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I am curious about the bridle. What is it? Would like to see a pic if possible. Thanks!
The photo and drawing in post 16 is the best I have. Never thought to take a pic of the empty slip.
Basically the bridle forms a v, with the V pointed towards the dock, with an old fender at the point to keep you from hitting the dock. I used 1/2" 3 strand dock line for the bridle lines.
The V guides your boat in and keeps the bow from swinging to the side.
It also provides a good line to grab with a hook and pull the boat into the slip if needed.
Hope that helps.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Ward, do you leave the bridle lines in place permanently? Or just when coming and going? If permanent, do you have any problems with chafing the boat's hull?
Thanks, BrianW

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 410 Charlevoix, MI
Profile Pic...

The photo and drawing in post 16 is the best I have. Never thought to take a pic of the empty slip.
Basically the bridle forms a v, with the V pointed towards the dock, with an old fender at the point to keep you from hitting the dock. I used 1/2" 3 strand dock line for the bridle lines.
The V guides your boat in and keeps the bow from swinging to the side.
It also provides a good line to grab with a hook and pull the boat into the slip if needed.
Hope that helps.
Actually you can see your bridle pretty well in your profile pic :)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Brian,
Have not touched them since I installed them in June of 2013. No sign of chafing. The dock lines hold the boat centered so the bridle lines may touch but they are not hard against the boat.

Bill, How about that. Had a decent photo and didn't know it.