Docking Technique Motivation

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A lively discussion is going on in another forum that deals with docking. One person advised to never ever step off the boat until at least one dock line is secured. My reply dealt with the fact that as a solo sailor, if I were to use that standard I could never depart or arrive at a dock. So, what I have developed over the years is a standard that works for me, a solo sailor, that likes to spend much time on the water visiting many locations that offer a vast array of docking conditions and situations.

What I have done is some pretty basic things suitable for our PNW waters:

1. Installed mid ship cleats to our boat. Most important boat improvement.
2. Built a portable boarding step the stays with the boat and is suitable for either side. It clips onto the toe rail. This step is half way between our gunnel and the average dock.
3. Purchased two 40' long dock lines and one short ten foot long dock line.

In every docking situation, what I do is to prepare for the landing:

1. Place two fenders on either side of the mid ship cleat, at dock height.
2. Place one 40' dock line on each cleat, bow and stern. I bring the working end of each dock line back to the life line gate and drape it over the life line on either side of the gate.
3. Open the gate.
4. Clip on the boarding step.
5. Place the shorter dock line on the mid ship cleat and drape the working end over the life line.
6. Always arrive and depart under power, never under sail. Belle-Vie's sails and displacement just too much to deal with.

As I bring the boat into the dock at an angle (conditions will dictate how sharp of an angle) I let the boat slow in neutral until I bring the boat parallel to a dock cleat, or where I want to tie up, do a reverse thrust to stop boat forward motion and quickly step off onto the dock.

The first dock line I grab and secure is the one on the mid ship cleat to stop and let the boat settle in, followed by the bow line, then the stern line. Both of these lines have enough length to use as spring lines if needed. If I use them as spring lines I remove the mid ship line to make room on the cleat.

This procedure works for the vast majority of docking situations where current and/or wind have minimal affect on the boat. Belle-Vie weighs 35, 000 pounds, so I let the equipment (dock lines, cleats, dock boards, etc.) deliver the leverage needed to secure her to the dock.

Depending upon those other few situations that place forces upon an otherwise smooth docking, such as wind, current or some combination of both, this has worked for me over the years.

I will talk about those other situations in following articles, but here I just want to pass along some techniques that have worked for me. If you have ideas that have worked for you, please join in and share your knowledge. Us salts should never be too old to learn new tricks.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We are midship springliners. Two fenders amidships on the dock side, one on the other just in case. A springline on the midship cleat with a bowline loop on the and. The loop runs through a plastic tube that clips onto our boat hook. Approach parallel to the dock at 1-2 knots. Drop the loop over the cleat/pole/piling at the stern end of our berth on the dock side. A little reverse so the boat is dead slow to stopped as we come up on the stern line. Then, turn the rudder away from the dock and go ahead standard. The boat will rest against on the fenders and the helm easily controls the position of the stern against the dock. Then, the stern line goes over to same place as the spring line. Leaving the engine holding the boat, I open the lifelines, grab the bow line off where it is draped near the cockpit, step off onto the dock, make the bow line fast, return to the cockpit, shut down the engine, and finish up as required.

The decks on our h27 are low enough to be an easy step to the dock. 4 25 foot lines are made up 2 to bow and 2 to stern at all times. Under way, they are rigged as Jack lines that run right along the cabin - no tripping hazard. The length gives us spring lines, or flexibility for different situations.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 37C blane
terry please come up to Semiahmoo and show me.:banghead: lol ,, i'm resorting to a more expensive slip till i get use to this tank.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Semiahmoo, a very nice marina. Belle-vie was in slip C3 when we purchased her in 2002. Remained there for two years, but got tired of the long drive from southwest Everett (Mukilteo). It was when we moved to Port Gardner marina that I installed mid ship cleats and built the boarding step. Before that it was always a monkey drill docking even with crew.

1 (3).jpg

Now most docking is a breeze, even solo.