Do you make a Wifi hotspot? Do you use a dedicated one?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
we just got back from a South Sound trip and while using T-Mobile there were many places I was only getting 1 bar, so the hotspot was useless.
Good to see a report on T-Mobile, we have Verizon and an unlimited data plan. It works fine, using our phone as a hotspot… as long as there is service. I find many of the best cruising locations on Puget Sound to be a cell whole, both south and north. Having said that, I’m replying here from Mystery Bay, and its working just fine.

It’s also a beautiful place! First time that we’ve been here. …and, before you ask, no to pictures, it’s raining this afternoon people who don’t live out here don’t think rain and grey are all that beautiful.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I have a Sprint MiFi hotspot from Caylx. Unlimited data/no throttling for $500/year. Unfortunately, no service on the west side of the San Juans. And yes it will work for a few more years.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I have a Cradlepoint I take from work that I normally have in my car. Works great and you can hook anything up to it with a cat5 cable also. When we were up in the islands I turned off roaming on my work cell phone but didn’t think about the Cradlepoint. $360 for a 4 day trip! My awesome logistics guru got it cut down to $20. Turns out IBoat really uses the data when you have live tracking turned on. When I’m doing just a day trip I’ll either not use data or turn on the hotspot on the phone and it works fine.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
USPS = US Power Squadron has decided to rebrand itself... Perhaps there was confusion with the mail service... They were tired of getting the complaints.

It is now "America's Boating Club".

There board still wear military like dress blue coats...

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Thanks everyone for your inputs. We did decide just to increase the data on our phone plan. The people that we were talking to were adamant that the dedicated hotspots work better but it turns out improving our phone plan did not cost very much. We're now getting unlimited text data and voice for about $34 per phone including taxes and fees with four phones on the plan. Google fi

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Has anybody looked at Skyroam?
Never heard of it. Got a link?

dj

p. s. Just looked it up. Looks interesting for land based travelers, I'd imagine it to be similar to the cellular based hot spot type devices talked about above. Doesn't solve the problem. I'm looking for which is ocean internet coverage beyond the cell towers coverage areas.

Oct 22, 2014
I'm looking for which is ocean internet coverage beyond the cell towers coverage areas.
Like a satellite phone, or the Iridium... SSB....

I thought the reason we go on an ocean passage was to get away from all the noise and confusion one views on the internet or the TV...

Here is one option I discovered... Not sure of the cost or practicability, but the marketing sounds great.

Meet the "FOOTBALL"
MCD-4800 "The Football”
Nicknamed “The Football”, this auto-tracking BGAN terminal delivers broadband speeds of up to 464 Kbps to 11 concurrent wireless devices, all housed in a durable all-weather case that stays closed for full operation.
1631625739543.png

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Like a satellite phone, or the Iridium... SSB....
I understand the SSB has difficulties in the Indian Ocean, but otherwise it seems to have world wide coverage - a bit old school but still a solid performer.

There does seem to be a new sat phone type that may be quite attractive. I'm researching that a bit.

I thought the reason we go on an ocean passage was to get away from all the noise and confusion one views on the internet or the TV...
Hahaha - for sure - but getting weather info is still desired. Plus a bit of connectivity to family/children...

Here is one option I discovered... Not sure of the cost or practicability, but the marketing sounds great.

Meet the "FOOTBALL"
MCD-4800 "The Football”
Nicknamed “The Football”, this auto-tracking BGAN terminal delivers broadband speeds of up to 464 Kbps to 11 concurrent wireless devices, all housed in a durable all-weather case that stays closed for full operation.
View attachment 198273
Sounds great, but definitely out of my price range:
1631634521049.png

dj

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
But it is a cool name. And effective, according to the marketing brochure.

And potentially presidential... "Yep, I got the Football right here sir!"

• Ha