Do you flush TP?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Well, as much as I don't like to say it, I TOLD YOU SO.
I'm on my way back into Long Beach with a completely full overflowing holding tank and nothing comes out of the macerator.
I've never had a clog until now and never put toilet paper in the head either.
Now I'm not sure if I've burnt up my macerator by letting it run for 5-10 minutes and nothing coming out.
Hoping that the pumpout station at the marina is working today. What's the recommended way to clear this and make sure the macerator is working? Is there some safe dye tablet I could stick in there and flush with fresh water?

Jun 2, 2014
And yes, the TP we used was West Marine TP.

Jun 2, 2014
Liquid is coming out of the vent when I flush it now.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Not meaning to be smart, but I have to ask: are you sure you opened the through-hull for the macerator output?

Jun 2, 2014
When I first ran the macerator I could see a light trail of something but not the usual heavy flow. After a few minutes there wasn't even a small trail.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It must be a diet problem. Sorry ;)
I hope we never have this problem, but we only use it for number 1 and the wife swears she puts paper in the basket.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Any macerator that can't suck out and grind up 'marine' TP is defective or junk. Seriously. Take a piece of that TP and drop it into a pail of water, and see how quickly it disintegrates.

Correlation does not mean causality. Maybe something else got into the tank? Or the macerator just finally gave up? How old is the macerator?

Jun 2, 2014
The macerator is two years old. Used lightly. Maybe 25 times

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
That's really odd. It will be interesting to learn what's clogging things.

Jun 2, 2014
Has to be clogged vent. Pumpout sucker won't even suck it out

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Wow. We've overflowed the vent a couple of times, but it never clogged. I think it's odd that the pumpout vac wouldn't be able to clear that. Please update us when it's resolved.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If waste is actually spewing out the vent now, it's not likely that the vent is blocked...but if it's only a trickle, it likely is and the tank is seriously pressurized, forcing waste to escape wherever it can....enough that continuing to flush the toilet can burst the tank or create an eruption in the toilet. Don't use the toilet again--use a bucket if you have to!-- till you've cleared the vent. You won't be able to pump out against a blocked tank vent either. When you get to the pumpout, open the deck fitting cap VERY carefully, hanging tightly onto it...'cuz the pressure can easily spin it out of your hand. There's also likely to be a geyser...so be sure that side of the boat is to leeward--and you should be too...and have a hose at the ready.
And btw, if you let your macerator run for more than a minute or two without pulling anything out, yes...you've burnt out the motor.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Peggy, it appears he's already removed the cap and tried to pump out. I am amazed that a vent could become that hard-clogged. I also would be amazed if it was paper that did it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
When you check this out, see what king of build-up is in the hoses. When I changed out mine, I had less than 3/4 of an inch free in the hose. Good luck!

Jun 2, 2014
Okay. System is cleared out.
I disconnected the vent hose at the tank (yes it was a bit messy) and it still would not pump out at the station. I even took off the elbow fitting so I could see the top level of liquid in the tank. It still would not pump out.
What eventually dislodged whatever the clog was, was to remove and replace the suction hose over and over. The vent was not clogged but everything was overflowing.
Sucked it all out, flushed it with sea water then fresh water. Reconnected everything, cleaned up and sprayed old spice.
My frustration is with not knowing how full the tank is so when trying to empty it out at sea without burning up the macerator, I am never sure. Stupid system.
I am going to find some kind of dye to put in it so I can always know.