Do these charge voltages look ok?

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I have a few threads going right now about a pair of T-105's i recently purchased. I purchased two of them brand new. One of them was 6.32 volts and one of them 6.37 volts when i measured them back at the shop. It was suggested that i charge them in parallel before connecting them in series in the boat to equalize the charge between the two. I bought a 6v/12v charger and charged them to equalize the charge. When i was charging them i did notice a slight hydrogen sulfide smell coming from one of them. Due to my inexperience i didnt pay much attention. When i installed them in the boat they were both fully charged and within .02 voltage between the two batteries. I turned on my charger for about ten minutes or so (Sterling Pro Charge Ultra) to set the custom voltages. While they were receiving charge one or both of them was off-gassing hydrogen sulfide.

Over this weekend i took the time to run the batteries down to help break them in but also to see how they react from a deep state of discharge when being charged, to see if the info tells me anything. I honestly dont know enough about batteries yet to interpret the results or if the information means anything at all. I know there are some very smart people on this board, so in an attempt to maybe learn something or just to get an opinion if the numbers suggest that all is good with the batteries, or maybe one of them is damaged. The batteries are under warranty so if one of them is bad (the reason for the hydrogen sulfide smell?) i'd like to replace it asap.

As i ran down the voltage, the batteries were not draining equally. I didn't record the voltages while i was draining them because it obviously fluctuated quite a bit from the loads, only the voltage of each battery when i stopped. Trojans data sheet specified 5.83 volts was 80% DoD so to play it safe i drew them down to 5.86 / 5.91. Battery A (the battery connected to the chargers positive output) measured 5.86 volts, battery B (connected to the negative) was 5.91 volts.

At this point i immediately started to charge them. The T-105's are 225 Ah batteries. I have my charger set to 50% charge power (30 Amps). I have the charge voltages set to 14.7 bulk / 13.5 float. Trojan recommends 14.8 / 13.5. I have a battery temp wire installed which bumps the voltage up .10 volts at current temps.

I have a remote display for the charger showing what the charger is outputting, and an SG-200 connected at the batteries showing what the batteries are at. All other measurements were taken with a decent quality multi-tester.

Time---------Charger Voltage----------Charger Amps----------Batt. A voltage----------Batt. B voltage-------------Combined voltage-----------SG-200 voltage reading
5:00 PM------------13.5-----------------------------29.9--------------------------6.67-------------------------6.62--------------------------------13.3-------------------------------------13.3
5:30------------------13.5-----------------------------29.9--------------------------6.67-------------------------6.67--------------------------------13.35-----------------------------------13.4
6:00------------------13.6-----------------------------29.9--------------------------6.70-------------------------6.74--------------------------------13.45-----------------------------------13.5
6:30------------------13.7-----------------------------29.9--------------------------6.75-------------------------6.81--------------------------------13.57-----------------------------------13.6
7:30------------------14.1-----------------------------29.9--------------------------6.89-------------------------6.99--------------------------------13.89-----------------------------------13.9
8:15------------------14.6-----------------------------29.3--------------------------7.13-------------------------7.28--------------------------------14.42-----------------------------------14.4
8:45------------------14.6-----------------------------23.0--------------------------7.17-------------------------7.32--------------------------------14.5-------------------------------------14.5
9:45------------------14.6-----------------------------11.1--------------------------7.23-------------------------7.4----------------------------------14.64-----------------------------------14.7

I had to go to bed at this point so unfortunately had to shut down the charger. I know it wasn't finished charging. I will turn it back on, on wednesday when im back at the boat to top up the charge.

During the entire charge process a few things i noticed i'm curious about. The batteries never got to 14.7 volts before the amperage started to drop. Do i have the power of the charger (30 Amps) set too low? With the temp sensor they should have hit 14.8 volts. I figure maybe because of the deep state of discharge they were in maybe had something to do with this.

The cell (plate) that is connected to the positive charge wire (positive post) on battery A was bubbling quite a bit when it got to 14.5 and 14.6 volts range. i could easily hear what sounded like vigerous bubbling. When i popped the cover i noticed a fair amount of bubbles rising but not as bad as it sounded. The other two cells under the caps on the same battery only showed a few bubbles rising here and there. The batteries were all cool to the touch though throughout the entire charge process. Even the cell that was bubbling. Is it normal that the cell/plate connected to the + wire would do this? Interestingly, that battery was at a lower voltage at the time than the other one. I did measure the voltage of the two batteries this morning after they were resting all night. They were pretty close to equal. One was 6.48 and the other 6.50. Also, I never noticed any Hydrogen Sulfide smell this time which is a good sign i guess. I will be curios to see if it comes back when charging from a state of charge that is closer to full.

Anyways, sorry for such a long nerd post. I really like the electrical component on boats but would like to find out if such information has any real value and can help shed some light on the health of the batteries. If i hadn't smelled the Hydrogen Sulfide i woudn't have bothered, but from what iv'e read...its not something to be taken lightly so anything i can do to figure this out i guess is worth it. I really would prefer not to blow up if i can avoid it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You do not mention the manufacturing date of the batteries, did the sticker indicate they were manufactured the same month of the same year? Just a couple of days ago I was looking at a pallet of batteries in Costco two of them caught my eye one manufactured in October 2020 and the one behind it in January 2021. That one from October 2020 may have a little sulfating from natural discharge while sitting on the shelf. Even batteries manufactured the same month may show different state of charge when purchased. A difference of .05V is not unusual. Run them through a few cycles and they should attain maximum capacity. To prevent sulfating batteries should be charged to 100% capacity immediately after every use. Interrupting the charging process before they reach 100% charge is not advisable. What you did is not critical but should not be done regularly as it may imprint a memory at a reduced capacity level. That is what sulfating does. Most of us keep a smart battery charger On 24/7. An extended period under maintenance charge is not ideal but it may be practical. A fully charged battery at rest should show 6.45V. A battery just charged will yield a higher voltage reading than actual and a battery just under load will yield a lower voltage reading than actual. That is why it is important to check voltage after the batteries have rested for a few hours. Seems to me you have two good batteries and you are doing OK.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Thanks Benny. I looked for manufacture dates on the batteries but i didn't see any. There was a long printed number on them but it was un-decipherable. I should google it and see if i can interpret it. Each battery had a very different code whatever it meant.

I do normally charge to full right away but i was sleeping on the boat that night and it was pouring out so all the hatches were closed. The batteries are currently in the living space so was afraid they would off-gas Hydrogen Sulfide when i was asleep. I would have called in sick to work to fully charge them but unfortunately had a scheduled meeting yesterday.

Right now i'm only going to draw them down to such a deep state of discharge a few times to break in/ condition the batteries to etch the plates. Once thats done i'll go back to a regular charging routine which would only normally see them go to 25% DoD unless im out overnight.