Do-it-yourself Quonset Hut for sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Night sailing is a blast. I did it for many years and was always able to see my windex by shining a small flashlight on it every now and then. I can almost understand that sailing a lake at night can be scary once you get distracted and lose your bearings. In my area, it's just not the case. There are three bridges out in Mount Hope Bay and both shores have promenent land marks to go by. There are two islands out in the center of the bay that I've always been aware of at night. They are more like sholes because there are no trees on them and you really need to be up close to them at high tide in order to see them. Outside of that there are a small number of unlit aids to navigation that one needs to look out for. The greatest thing about sailing at night is that you're out there by yourself and most of the speedy watercraft cowboys are not on the water and that's a good thing in itself. If you are able to sail the same waters day in and day out without running into things, you can also sail them at night. Many times have I sailed into Potter's Cove on Prudence Island (Bristol RI area) in the dead of night around midnight and 1:00 AM, dropped anchor under sail and spent the night. There is nothing like it.

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
I agree night sailing is a blast especially when looking for a Quonset Hut design I can DIY (DIM?) LOL. This would make a good thread by itself and I would very much like to see your technics.
Geohan

Aug 7, 2010
Catalina 22 Stockton Lake, Missouri
bellnier, that's a clever shelter. Hope it works for you. How's it handling wind? We've had 20 mph sustained, gusting to 35 mph for the last week with tornado season coming again in the spring and I'm curious if you believe it will hold up to much wind?

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.