Do I need to register my H34?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I recently bought an H34 and the previous owner gave me a Certificate Of Documentation from the DOT. I want to change everything over to my name but don't know exactly who to contact. Someone told me the DOT office I need to work with is in West Virginia. Can anyone help me on this? Also the boat came with a 10" Achilles dinghy that was registered in Maryland. Do I have to actually register the dinghy as the previous owner did? Thanks, Joe

E

Eric Lorgus

Previous owner shouldn't give you the certificate

Joe, If the certificate you mentioned was issued by the U.S.DOT (Coast Guard) National Vessel Documentation Center, the previous owner should have returned it to the NVDC, not given it to you. I've pasted a link below to the NVDC. You didn't say in what state your boat will be primarily used, so the issue of state regs is hard to answer. Generally speaking, you must always register your boat in the state of principal use, even if it's federally documented. I've pasted below one of the FAQ's from the NVDC website: WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SELL MY DOCUMENTED VESSEL? Return the original Certificate of Documentation to the National Vessel Documentation Center along with a brief note that you sold the vessel. Your Certificate is non-transferable and should NOT be given to the new owner. When the sale is finalized it is suggested you complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale (CG-1340) that can be used by the new owner should he wish to document the vessel. Documentation requires that the new owner send in one signed original and one copy of the USCG Bill of Sale with an Application for Document ation (CG-1258) and fees. The buyer should also be able to use the bill of sale form as evidence of the transfer of ownership to obtain state registration and/or title if he chooses not to document the vessel with the U.S. Coast Guard. If you have an outstanding mortgage of record against your vessel, please make sure the mortgagee (the lender) completes a Satisfaction of Mortgage form and mails an original and one copy to the National Vessel Documentation Center. Your vessel cannot be removed from documentation with an outstanding mortgage. Documentation forms and fee schedules are available for downloading at this web site.

D

Dick Hall

Why document?

There isn't much argument for documenting a boat unless you plan on international cruising. I once heard that many small boats are documented at the insistence of lenders because it make them easier to seize if the owner defaults and moves the boat to a different state. If you own the boat outright save some money and simply register it.

R

Rodney

Yes, if you have an outboard on the dinghy

If you have an outboard on the dinghy you must register it in your state of residence, or in the state you keep the boat. Seems to me to be your choice on the dinghy. Rodney S/V Avanti

G

Gene Gruender

state registration is not always cheaper!

>If you own the boat outright save some money and simply register it.> This depends on where you live. You are NOT ALLOWED to register a boat in Texas if it is documented. There is a one time fee to document, I think it is still $84 if it was previously documented. As long as you send in the slip each year there are no more fees. Therefore, at least in Texas it's a one time $84 for documentation as opposed to a biannual $50 or so for state registration. (My sympathies go out to those in states that require both!)

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Documentation Versus State Registration

While some states do not require boats to carry a State License number if they are documented, many are requiring that the boats are registered in a State and have a State sticker . . . . Seems like they got tired of people not paying sales or other taxes in any state when, in fact, they were being kept in that state for prolonged periods. Am I to assume that the careful registering of boats going through draw bridges on the ICW is a way that the some states are monitoring this ??? So do be careful that your state does not require documented boats to be registered.

E

Eric Lorgus

Registration Checks on the ICW?

Jim, I just completed a trip northbound on the ICW beginning in Southport, NC (took the Coinjock route). I didn't encounter any bridges that checked anything. As for documentation vs registration, I think the question is "documentation vs state titling." In Maryland, documented vessels must be registered but not state titled. Same in Florida. The catch in Florida is that if you aren't registered there, you may only keep your boat there for 180 days continuously. I don't know how they enforce that, but if you buy a boat there, that's what they tell you. Eric Lorgus s/v Impulse (83H54)

Status
Not open for further replies.