Do I need bottom paint?

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hi all,

I’ve never applied bottom paint because until now my boat always lived on it’s trailer.

This year, I got a well in a marina on Lake St Clair. The boat will spend much of the summer there (if I ever get it prepped!).

I hadn’t really thought about bottom paint. Previous owner had applied ablative paint at some point in the past. There is still enough on it that we curse our blue stained shirts most times when we launch It, but it’s of an unknown age, brand, etc.

Any advice?

Thanks,

John

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A few coats with a roller for an 18' boat won't take more than 90 min. to apply. Scrapping the crap off your hull if you don't will certainly take more than 90 min. My 2 cents and worth every penny

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto rgranger.............even though you are in freshwater, if you leave it in the water for the season, yes, paint it. Your boat may not accumulate barnacles, but boats left in freshwater can grow a healthy beard of plant and algae slime. If you do paint it talk to other boaters and boat shops about the best paint to use (ablative or hard) that will also be environmental friendly/acceptable.

Feb 19, 2008
Do I need to remove all the old paint? How do you do that?
Almost seems like I can just get it wet and wipe.

I guess I need to do some reading.

Feb 21, 2013
Knock off any loose paint with a scraper and, using either a sanding block or a dustless DA sander, lightly sand the entire bottom with 80-grit sandpaper. Spend a little extra time on any high or uneven areas. Try to achieve as smooth of a surface as possible to minimize underwater drag. Check out these youtube videos and get personal protective equipment including body/head suit, gloves, booties, eye protection.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Just to be clear, in most cases you just want to prep the surface, not remove all of the bottom paint. Be sure to power wash it at the end of the season. Pics would greatly help you get accurate advice

Feb 19, 2008
i Can post pictures tomorrow, my memory is that the bottom is in great shape in terms of smooth and even.

do I have to use the same type of paint as before, or even the same brand?

Feb 21, 2013
........my memory is that the bottom is in great shape in terms of smooth and even......do I have to use the same type of paint as before, or even the same brand?
If the bottom paint is OK then I would NOT paint. When you do repaint, follow the instructions above and USE A SIMILAR ablative paint recommended by divers, other boaters, boat yards and chandleries for Lake St. Clair.

Feb 21, 2013
Just to add.........dive on the bottom mid-season to inspect the paint and clean the bottom. Of course, you can always hire a diver to do that. Cheap insurance.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ask the locals yards what is best. There are a couple of paints that the anti fouling properties will remain effective while others anti fouling dry out after 60 days out of the water. If painting do wear protective gear

Feb 19, 2008
Here are some pictures of my bottom (that’s not a phrase I ever thought I’d write in an internet forum!).
it is very smooth and even. Other that there is paint on it, I would say it is ready for paint. Previous owner said other than one season in the Florida keys, it’s been a Michigan boat it’s whole life.

Not knowing anything at all about bottom paint, the last picture is the reason I believe it to be ablative paint.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looks like ablative to me. Your bottom (the boat) looks growth free. Should be able to paint over it but product compatibility might be a concern.

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the photos....now we have a clearer idea of the paint condition and it needs a bottom paint job.

Jan 19, 2010
I would put some 80 or 100 grit on one of these...

1591199306908.png

Give it a quick once over to knock off the really loose stuff... then put a sheet that you don't mind destroying under the boat and give it a quick pressure wash. The sheet will catch what gets knocked off so you don't pollute the environment with toxic stuff. Let it dry out and paint the bottom then wrap the sheet in a plastic gag and toss the sheet. Then go sailing.

I've used this before...

It was "okay". There might be better options. On my H26 I get a growth of slime after about two weeks that easily sloughs off with a brush on a broom handle.
1591200365049.png

About once a month I walk around my boat in the slip and brush off the bottom. Without the bottom paint, I'd probably have to haul and scrape.

r

Edit: Also every now and again, I put on some swim goggles while at anchor in a cove and I dive on my boat with one of these....

1591200299707.png

... and clean up the spots and can't reach with the brush on the pole.

When you are all done with the second coat of bottom paint... and you have a little left in the can, add a third coat to the leading edges of your bow, keel and rudder. Those areas tend to hit things and get the paint knocked off quicker.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
... Also!!!! Never dive on your boat while in the slip at the marina, especially in fresh water. If some joker has DIY'ed his electric system and has the return wired to ground, you could get electrocuted at the slip... even if the offending boat is several slips away.