Do I Need A Solar Charge Controller ??

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I get asked this question quite often and the answer is almost always a resounding, yes. There are always caveats to everything however..

In the video below I have two group 27 batteries, in parallel, consisting of 160 Ah's at the 20 hour rate. The batteries were recently equalized, specific gravity checked and tested. They are in excellent health for their age. Once equalized and fully charged they were left in float mode over night. Room temp in my shop was about 72F..

As you will see in the video below the current accepted or needed to maintain 14.4V is just 0.2A.

TWO TENTHS OF ONE AMP AT 100% FULL TO MAINTAIN 14.4 VOLTS !!!!!

Two tenths of an amp is all these batteries will take when full at 14.4V without over shooting 14.4V. They will remain taking this 0.2A for days or weeks at a time. With an accurate enough charger or power supply that can deliver mA current levels they will accept 0.02 - 0.08A continuously at 13.6V or float voltage. Most switch-mode chargers don't have the accuracy to do this so they "pulse" on and off when they get to currents below 0.2A or so. For older feroresonant chargers they begin pulsing on and off at much higher currents to maintain a voltage..

This "acceptance rate" is a far cry from the often misguided and incorrect information spread around the net that a "full battery will take 2% of its capacity". This information likely stems from resetting battery monitors when a bank is taking less than 2% of "C". It does not mean the battery is 100% full at 2% of capacity it just means that this is a "good enough" spot on a boat to call "full" for resetting a battery monitor.

There is also lots of information out there suggesting that a solar panel of 10% of capacity, in wattage, or 1.5% of capacity in amperage does not need a charge controller? Yes, in many cases where batteries are used or cycled daily, or even sometimes every third or fourth day this "unregulated charging" can work and can be a sort of "truth".

Conversely when batteries are left to sit for weeks at a time, on a solar panel with no voltage regulation, it can become a dangerous situation to battery health and quickly becomes an "untruth"... With many boats, they often sit for days or multiple weeks between use with all loads turned OFF. In these situations the batteries can still get to 100% full even with just a 10% of "C" panel in wattage, and can certainly over-charge with 1.5% of "C" in panel amperage. When they eventually get to "full" they will have the voltage pushed well beyond the safe zone or where it where it should be.

Having charged hundreds & hundreds of batteries and watched the "accepted current" at varying voltages these comments always made me cringe. The other day the question came up again and I decided to use my bench top power supply to illustrate this.

A diminutive 10W solar panel can produce about 0.59 -0.6A in good sun. 12V nominal panels have voltages from 16V to 18+V. So even with a small panel if the bank is left on charge for multiple days or weeks at a time, with no loads on, as is the case with many boats, you can over charge your batteries if you are not careful.

It has happened to a few of my customers, most recently a bass boat owner whom I installed a fish finder for. He toasted a very expensive battery set....

The West Marine Advisor states: (The quote below is as of 8/11/2012 they will likely change that statement when they realize they were giving potentially destructive information.)

West Marine Advisor said:
"Do you need a charge controller?

As a general rule panels that produce less than 1.5% of a battery’s rated capacity in amp hours don’t require regulation. This means that a 1.5A panel is the largest you should use without a regulator on a 100-amp-hour battery. Regulators should generally be used any time you have two or more large panels connected to your batteries.
If we translate that advice to watts:

*West Advisor is suggesting that approx 25% in watts/Ah capacity is safe:cussing:
*They are also saying that unless you have two or more large panels connected to your batteries you will be safe without a controller:doh:What is "large"? Who defines that?

While the difference from 0.2A, what the battery bank above is willing to accept at 14.4V, to 0.59A, what a 10W panel is capable of, may not sound like much the difference between what the batteries actually need at FLOAT, 0.02A to 0.08A, can be quite a dramatic increase.

Remember a 10W panel can produce, about 0.6A, and this is actually a 637% increase in current from a float current of 0.08A that the batteries "accept" to maintain 13.6V. Unregulated, when the batteries approach full, will cause the voltage to rise and the electrolyte to gas off. It can also cause positive plate erosion inside the battery.

The general guidelines are sometimes stated that a panel wattage of 10% of capacity "C" or less would not need a controller. 10% of 160Ah would be a 16W panel but a 16W panel could produce nearly 1A of charge current even more than a 10W panel. Of course the "suggestions" for controller-less solar are all over the map so who is to know what to believe.

West Marine = 1.5% in current of the 20 hour rate
Calder = 0.5% in current of the 20 hour rate
Casey = 0.3% in current of the 20 hour rate

Everywhere you turn on the net there are formula's for controller-less solar. They rarely if ever agree.. Who are you to believe? West Marine? Calder? Casey? Norther Arizona Wind Sun etc. etc. etc.........?

These are but two more examples, from actual solar distributors:

Sunshine Solar said:
Do I need a charge controller?

We recommend that charge controllers are used with 15 watt solar panels and above. This will ensure the battery is not overcharged if the solar panel is connected for any length of time with no charge being drawn.
Not a single qualifier other than a panels of 15W or less don't need a controller......

Photonic Universe said:
As a rule of thumb, it would be safe to use 5W solar panels without a regulator with batteries starting from 50Ah, 10W starting from 100Ah battery capacity.

REAL WORLD FACT:

Just 1.0A of current (same as a 15W solar panel) at 100% full on this 160Ah bank pushes the voltage beyond 15V !!!!!!

Beyond just the potential to over charge your batteries, if left on charge long enough, a small panel like this won't recharge your batteries very quickly, but when it does, and does not have a controller, you could run a risk of over charge.

Something to think about anyway and if you do run unregulated please be careful.

I made a video seeing is this is much easier to see than to explain..

I made a video seeing is this is much easier to see than to explain..

EDIT July 16th 2013:
I finally had the opportunity to set this up with a small 12W panel and two banks. Both banks were charged with regulated solar until full then the controller was removed. Panel was left flat, not angled towards the sun, just like it would be on a boat. This did not happen over night but the small 12W panel eventually brought both banks over 15V!!! This panel is 10% of the 125Ah bank in watts and only 5.5% of the 220Ah bank in wattage..

Bank #1 220Ah Lifeline AGM's

Bank #2 125 Ah Marine Maxx Group 31 Flooded Lead Acid

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
So if I go sailing more and use instruments, lights, refer I'm thinking that I'll not be operating at the 99.99999% charged state and will be more like 90-95%. this assumes I'm actually running the motor to replace the bulk of the energy that I use daily but don't want to run the motor for the long time to fully charge the batteries. I'd be using the panels do trickle charge the batts all the time.
Another excuse to go sailing IMHO
This brings up the question what is the current that the battery will accept when it is in the 90-95% charged range and how long will it take if I leave the boat for a while unattended (no loads) till I have to worry about my small solar panel bringing the banks up to 100% and then overcharging them?
I would caution making a lot of assumptions about a battery charger acting exactly like a solar panel. that batter charger volts to amps graph is TOTALY different from a solar panel's. the voltages and currents available from a solar panel are NEVER what is on the max output tag.
Some things to consider when sizing solar panels
The sun does not shine at night and the panel output is 0 at that time.
The angle of the sun is not directly over the panel (normal to) all day long and the panel output is NEVER max unless you are at noon on a cloudless day and locate the boat at the equator.
Panels in the sun get hot and voltage falls off.
Clouds and shading from the rigging cause dramatic loss of output.

I would hazard that if the panel is rated at xx watts and you mount it horizontally on a sail boat deck you are only going to see 1/2 of xx watts output and then only during the time the sun is up.

So trying to say that a solar panel can be "simulated" by a battery charger" is a little out of the believable. Not that I disagree with MS. If you do charge at those slightly higher currents you will hurt your batteries. I'm just not convinced that a SOLAR PANEL works like the situation he is using.

OH yea, I have a 15 watt solar panel and 410 AH of house bank and have left it on for the last 5 years and the batteries (old when I got them) are still fine with out a charge controller.

Feb 6, 1998
I would hazard that if the panel is rated at xx watts and you mount it horizontally on a sail boat deck you are only going to see 1/2 of xx watts output and then only during the time the sun is up.
I posted this because three weeks ago I was on a boat with a panel that was about 11% of bank capacity. When I was on-board the battery voltage was hoovering between 14.7 & 14.8V with no controller it was about 12:30 pm when I noticed this.. Extended periods, per day at those voltages may not be good for the bank. Solar current fluctuates wildly in clouds but can be quite steady on a clear day.

Yes, if you use the boat often it won't be an issue as a small panel will likely never get the bank full. However, let it go for a few weeks and you could overcharge the batteries as I witnessed. With basic controllers running as little as $35.00 - $40.00 it seems worth it.

I also disconnected the charger over night to see how long it took to bring the bank back to 0.08A acceptance and it took about five minutes starting at about 2A and quickly diminishing. So even with a 1A charge current it may take 10 minutes per day to get back to max acceptance for a float level voltage. You'd then have 3 - 4.5 hours per day of potential over charging.

Also our panel does put out its rating, very often, and even did this with the simple shunting controller.. We have had two panels on our boat a Siemans monocrystalline and currently a Kyocera polycrystalline. Our old panel was rated at 4.4A and I regularly saw it put out 4.3-4.4A with the basic non-MPPT controller. With our MPPT controller I see it exceed the rating by 5-13% quite often. Our panel is flat and I capture full output in Maine of about 4-5 hours per day depending upon the time of year. Even with low sun angles the new panels do pretty well at pumping out some current. Yesterday at about 4:00 our Kyocera 140W panel was still pumping 2.7 - 3.2A into the bank...

I have a video of our Siemans panel in soupy fog, with rain, at 8:45 am dumping nearly half an amp of charge (0.4A) into the bank... I also have a video of our Siemans 4.4A rated panel pumping 4.5A into the bank via a Genasun controller.

OH yea, I have a 15 watt solar panel and 410 AH of house bank and have left it on for the last 5 years and the batteries (old when I got them) are still fine with out a charge controller.
And your panel is about 3.6% of the banks capacity. Your panel can't likely exceed the acceptance. 10% of bank capacity is the generally accepted cut off for no controller but I have seen panels in that 10% range overcharging. With 3.6% of bank capacity you are likely never going to over charge that bank. Heck you're really not going to charge it much either..

Even if you figured you were trying to put the last 20% back in, from 80% SOC, with perfect conditions and 4.5 hours per day of full output..

20% of 410 = 82 Ah's + charge inefficiency = 92Ah's

0.9A X 4.5 = 4.05 Ah per day / 92 Ah needed = 23 days, in perfect weather, to go from 80% SOC to full...

You probably use your boat more than once ever 23 days and discharge the bank thus you likely never even get close to full with that panel unless you supplement with a shore charger....

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not fully versed on solar panels but doesn't the electricity flow reverse at night or in low light conditions becoming a draw on the batteries, hence a good reason also for a controller?

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
They leak a little bit at night but leakage is small compared to the current they generate, furthermore a diode (one way valve) is added to the panel to reduce the leakage current to fractions of a milliamp.

The controller prevents the panel from damaging the battery through overcharging. Typical solar panel for boats has an open circuit voltage of 21V and generates maximum power at a voltage of 17V. So the panel if it is large enough will harm the battery. Maines point is that that level can potentially occur with a surprisingly small panel.

Feb 22, 2010
Bristol 32 Middle River, MD
Here's a dumb question. If two batteries are wired in parallel can the solar panel be connected to the + terminal on one battery and the - terminal on the other?

Feb 6, 1998
Here's a dumb question. If two batteries are wired in parallel can the solar panel be connected to the + terminal on one battery and the - terminal on the other?
That is the way it SHOULD be connected...

Apr 29, 2011
Finnsailer 38 Massachusetts
I don't recommend it, but I lived aboard for more than 12 years with solar and wind as my main charging sources and I did not have a controller. I basically just disconnected or switched off various panels as needed, or stopped the wind generator. I kept an eye on a simple analog volt meter, and despite all the naysayers I had no major issues. In fact, during that same period I ran some of the first Sonnenschein gel batteries onboard for around seven years and had no issues. So, it is possible to run unregulated, but I was keeping a closer eye on things than most people do. These days there are some pretty reasonably priced controllers that do a good job and are worth it unless you just have one very small panel and some big batteries.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Should have stated: 2% criteria used when using system, not long term use as trickle charger! Use low watt panel for trickle, long term. Your water level will tell you if you have a problem, plus DC readings if you wish. Have used this concept for many years, it works fine! It is not my objective to argue the point, just providing info , use it or not. No more comments will be presented. Chief

May 17, 2011
Argo Navis Mac 22 Key Largo
that was a great write up MS, very on point. I installed two 10W panels from harbor freight on an arch and they are trickle charging a 1 used group 27 gel battery,, i forget the brand or amp capacity.. i have ran unregulated for 3 years without a problem however we do go sailing every weekend putting a load by radio, and lights etc.. if i had the need to go to a bigger panel i would certainly use a regulator.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Does your power supply have leads in the back? i bought a 10A 30V Mastech to equalize my batteries but the leads come out the front :confused:. Thanks for the continuing education.

Feb 6, 1998
Here we have yet another bank of batteries destroyed by controller-less solar. This owner left these two panels connected and on the dash of his power boat when not there. He initially had only one but thought with the shade and all he'd add another panel. He also read, on the net, that he did not need a controller for these panels.

When I measured the battery voltage, in October in Maine, the batteries were at 14.8V at about 11:00 in the morning and one of the panels was partially shaded.....

These panels were direct connected to the house bank of batteries, about 230 Ah's.. The start battery, same age as the house bank, was not charged by the solar and remained isolated from the solar charging. The boat is stored on a mooring and only charges with solar and alternator. Alternator is set for 14.4V and ran all of 42 hours since the batteries were installed.....

Test Results:

The start battery still has a CCA rating of over 800 CCA, or nearly perfect, the house batteries, as a bank, were registering just 85 CCA or deader than dead..

Again, please be careful with controller-less solar. Even inside this cabin these panels were capable of driving the voltage over 15V...

Sorry for the bad picture all I had was my phone....

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Not to hijack the thread MS, but how do you determine the CCAs of the batteries?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Midtronics EXP-1000 HD battery analyzer..
Off to google.... brb.

Got it....read the manual quickly.

I thought maybe it was a test any joe schmo could do with a multimeter, 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads and about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
which controller for small panels

Okay I'm convinced I should have a controller for my small solar setup. I have two 12 watt Ganz panels. I normally have one hooked up to each of my two group 31 batteries when the boat is sitting in the slip (not on shore power). Ganz says I don't need a controller for that but it now seems that's not necessarily true. When I'm out for the weekend or a few days I connect both of the panels to the one battery I am using as the house battery for the trip. I just use the battery sized alligator clips that came with the panels for this. I figure I get 8 to 12 amps a day from this and it supplements the battery for my modest needs.

I was considering getting the Ganz dual controller which seems like it would simplify the way I use the panels because it can take the combined input from the two panels and "automatically" distribute it to the two batteries as needed. http://www.cbcamerica.com/microsite/misc/Dual Charge Controller 08-2012(2).pdf

But looking at the Genasun GV-4 or GV-5 it looks like those are really superior products but I don't know if there is a convenient way to direct the output to two batteries and to combine it to one battery as desired.

Is there a way to use one of the Genasun controllers to service both batteries without going through a lot of expensive additional and or complicated steps? That is, 1/2 of the output to each battery while in standby mode in the slip and full output to one battery while out "cruising" for the weekend?

Thanks for the input and comments.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
I was considering getting the Ganz dual controller which seems like it would simplify the way I use the panels because it can take the combined input from the two panels and "automatically" distribute it to the two batteries as needed.
When you charge two healthy batteries in parallel, the charge is "automatically" distributed to each battery as required, assuming wiring losses are approximately equal, and minimal, which is also the case for independent charging from one charge source. An unhealthy battery will "hog" current in both scenarios, only two independent sources of charge will allow the good battery to get its rightful amount.

Feb 6, 1998
Okay I'm convinced I should have a controller for my small solar setup. I have two 12 watt Ganz panels. I normally have one hooked up to each of my two group 31 batteries when the boat is sitting in the slip (not on shore power). Ganz says I don't need a controller for that but it now seems that's not necessarily true. When I'm out for the weekend or a few days I connect both of the panels to the one battery I am using as the house battery for the trip. I just use the battery sized alligator clips that came with the panels for this. I figure I get 8 to 12 amps a day from this and it supplements the battery for my modest needs.

I was considering getting the Ganz dual controller which seems like it would simplify the way I use the panels because it can take the combined input from the two panels and "automatically" distribute it to the two batteries as needed. http://www.cbcamerica.com/microsite/misc/Dual Charge Controller 08-2012(2).pdf

But looking at the Genasun GV-4 or GV-5 it looks like those are really superior products but I don't know if there is a convenient way to direct the output to two batteries and to combine it to one battery as desired.

Is there a way to use one of the Genasun controllers to service both batteries without going through a lot of expensive additional and or complicated steps? That is, 1/2 of the output to each battery while in standby mode in the slip and full output to one battery while out "cruising" for the weekend?

Thanks for the input and comments.

Don't over think these small panels. Unless you were to leave them unattended for multiple weeks you're likely to be okay. That said, if it were me, I would have a controller.

That Ganz is about your least expensive option to charge two banks from one controller. It's not a bad little PWM controller and will do what you need for less than $60.00.... Morningstar also makes a great little two bank controller but it is more expensive..

Wire the two panels in parallel, connect to the controller and then wire each battery per Ganz instructions. Be sure to place that controller as close to the batteries as possible. It has an internal temp sensor so if using the ambient sensor the controller should be as close as possible to the batts. You can also buy a remote temp sensor for it but placing the controller close to the batts will achieve a similar result..

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
which controller for small panels

Thank you both for the replies. I'll check out the Morningstar and compare to the Ganz.

Sea_Casper - The batteries aren't paralleled in this setup so I don't think that's a problem.

Thank again.