Do I need a new prop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W.Smith

I have a 1984 Catalina 30, with a Model M-18 Universal (14 hp @3200 rpm), that is the slowest boat under power that I have ever owned. I am the butt of many jokes at my marina. I have owned a C-22 and a C-27 that would move out, but this one is a real turtle. What is the problem? The engine is in fine condition, and I can get plenty of rpm's. A friend at my marina with a C-36 says I am under-proped. I have the original 12 inch no-name, 1 inch tapered shaft prop that came on the boat. I can't even make out the numbers on the prop to determine what pitch it is. Does anybody else have this problem, or know what I could do to help my lame speed under power. I can't even do 5 knots.

J

James

Yes

It sounds like you have a two blade 12X12RH prop that was the standard prop fitted during those years. I had the same prop on my '82 which was powered by a 5411. I remember cruising at around 4 to 4.5 knots and not being able to power into a headwind. You can either have the prop pitched up or replace it. On later boats, Catalina supplied a 13X12 two blade or a 13X10 three blade prop. The Catalina 30 owners association technical manual has a helpful discussion of prop options. Or you can go to a 2 bladed folder like the flex-o-fold, and get the benefits of greatly increased blade area. I have a Campbell sailer 13X10RH 3 blade driven by a M25XP in the boat now. I am extremely pleased, really like the performance in forward and reverse, low drag, and now can reach hull speed. You can see details on the Campbell props at www.westbynorth.com. A good deal all around. Any change will be an improvement over where you are now. Good luck.

P

patrick

underpowered

you are experiancing why owners with that engine model are wantiong to move up to a larger one. it is simply under powered.

D

David Ullrich

nOT REALLY UNDERPOWERED

I have an 83 30TR. It is powered by the Universal 54-11 ) (11hp). I have the standard prop that came with the boat. I cruise at 5.5 and top out at 6.3 knots. So with you having a few extra ponies, something else must be going on. Is the engine reving out all the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.