Do I need a main downhaul? H26

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
cannot open that program. Need a photo from someone with a H 26 out there with a CDI furler as it will affect what I suggest to joecool911

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have spoken with @joecool911 regarding the mast on his Hunter 26 which he recently purchased. There is a rigger nearby and no bridles for mast raising. He opted to buy the bridles pre made by SBO as they have the hardware and length instead of making them.
I was involved with the design of the Hunter 26. When I picked up the first boat made from Hunter in Florida, I noted the forestay chain plate was an eyebolt attached to the chain plate at the hull to deck joint vs. on the deck. The chain plate had an extension that came up to the deck to attach a jib to. I think there was a bridle with the original jib to raise it up off the deck. The bow only had one cleat directly behind the jib attachement. Adding a furler was a problem. I went to my friend who was the founder and owner of CDI furlers. Together, we came up adding a 6 inch tang to the extended chain plate where a standard jib was attached to for a couple of reasons. First, it allowed clearence of the cleat so a sailor could attach a dock line easier. Secondly, it allowed for the line to exit the furling drum easier without catching the drum. Third, it helped to raise the jib higher. As a result, the forestay had to be shortened. What appears in the photo from the poster, no tang was attached and the furling line came out at the wrong angle not to mention being in the way of the forward single cleat. See photo from the poster.

From another photo and discussion, the forestay was never shortened, furling drum was not properly off the deck, the furling foils or extensions were not cut to proper length and the rake was too way backward and so on. I advised since there is a local rigger whom he trusts, to get that rigger involved. Further when plum bobbing for the rake, make sure the lenght from behind the mast to plum line is appx. 4 inches. Also, to center the top of the mast and understand that the lower shrouds are generally tighter. As to bend, I advised of a slight bend due to the shape of the mainsial as it was designed for power and without the backstay, it was designed to be bigger vs. a standard mainsail.

Poster will call when the bridles come in so I can help him with themast coming down.