Do I need a main downhaul? H26

Aug 9, 2019
Hunter H26 Hayden Island
I am planning all the projects for when the mast comes down for the first time...

With a new mainsail and well conditioned sail track...do I need a downhaul for the main?

Right now with the old sail and untreated mast track the main needs coaxing to come down. I'd like to be able to douse it from the cockpit.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Only you can answer that question. But it's simple enough to set up.. just attach an appropriate length of small diameter line to the top slider grommet and some kind of cleat to tie the downhaul off... If you don't need it... simply untie it.

Aug 9, 2019
Hunter H26 Hayden Island
Only you can answer that question. But it's simple enough to set up.. just attach an appropriate length of small diameter line to the top slider grommet and some kind of cleat to tie the downhaul off... If you don't need it... simply untie it.
But can I expect the main to come down on it's own without a downhaul?

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Based on my experience with my H26, I don’t think plastic slugs in a groove can be counted on to come all the way down on their own every time without someone at the mast.

I loved the batt cars on my cruising catamaran!

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
And of course you'll need good lazy jacks, or a stack pack, or a good Dutch flaking system, if you can get the main to drop on its own, or you'll be on the cabin top to flake/tie down the main anyway.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I vote for keeping things simple, would not want to be next complaining about the Main Downhaul Line jamming. I have no problems unloading the sail, releasing the halyard and going on top to bring the sail down hand over hand.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
But can I expect the main to come down on it's own without a downhaul?
The only way to know the answer for sure is to actually drop the main, from a couple different angles, because it's your boat and you're the one that sails it. I certainly wouldn't install a batt car system unless you had all full battens. A downhaul is simple to set up and way, way cheaper that batt cars.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
My experience with plastic slides is if you clean the luff groove in the mast and McLube the track and cars, the main is likely to drop easily. By the middle of the season, you may need to re-lube the system to keep it slick.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@joecool911

Have you ordered the bridles. Can you take a photo of the furling drum attached at the deck? I forgot if mainsail original. Look up the mainsail track and see if it is straight. One thing at a time but please advise.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
IMHO, if the plastic slugs are going to jam, they are going to jam. A downhaul is no guarantee that the mainsail is going to come down w/o working it at the mast. This is not like a hanked on headsail and downhaul setup. Keep the slugs and track clean and dry lubed.
I remember years ago someone posted a homemade gadget the rode in the track cleaning and lubing along the way. Not sure why it hasn't been marketed. I'll have to search for it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Here's one cleaning tool.

here's another

There's another out there that actually had a lube can attached that could be activated from the deck

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Here's one cleaning tool.

here's another

There's another out there that actually had a lube can attached that could be activated from the deck

Here's one version of the gadget I'm remembering

• Ha
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don’t recall seeing a main down haul on any boat I’ve sailed on. For many, I was crew so by definition not solo sailing. Neither have I seen a main get stuck up (Except for my roller furling main). With a straight, clean , lubricated track with a sail in good condition, it should come down when the halyard is released. Most boats I’ve been on someone lowers the sail in a controlled manner to do at least a rough flake.
So my answer is no.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
My last two boats have had full batten mains. While the full battens were a nice feature, they produced a lot of friction raising /lowering the sail. We developed the practice of have a crew stand in front of the mast to I'll the sail down...and lube didn't change the situation much.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@tgranger
Do you have a photo of the furler drum attached to the forestay chain plate on your hunter 26?that you can share. I will check under owner photos under boat info