Do high-quality bungee cords exist?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Just wondering. I was getting ready to buy a few new ones, and replacing them gets old.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Let me tell you about the high quality bungees I used to secure 2 new sailboards to a roof rack! Over $2,000 worth of styrofoam on the side of the NJ Turnpike on an April evening a few decades ago, not to mention the damage to the car behind me. :doh::doh: Not one of my shinier moments!

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I've had good luck with these Perfect Bungee cords. Looks like they are available right here at SailboatOwners:
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?18897

They aren't quite as stretchy as rubber cored ones, but they last a long time even out in the sun, the hooks are plastic so no chance of them hurting anything, including you, and they are available in different colors and lengths.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Buddy of mine was a BASE jumper. He used a 100’ 4-cord braid of 7/16” bungee cord. The stuff with the fabric mantle and rubber strand core. After 2 jumps he tossed each cord assembly and built a new one. Testimony to the short life-cycle of these things. I took the old ones, cut them to 25’, whipped the ends and handed them out to folks for non-critical things like lashing down lawn furniture, boat tarps and the world’s largest water-balloon slingshot. They don’t last long, and that is a good thing.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm sure there are, but I've no idea where to find them or how to identify high quality from not so much. We use some we got from the chandlery on the waterfront in Bequia and it has held up well on the main topping lift for at least a year. Others, mostly premade up ones don't seem to have the lifespan of shock cord bought off a roll in a chandlery or hardware store (Home Depot and Lowes like stores excepted).

Jan 15, 2012
Ericson 28/2 Port Kent
Go to a shop that supplies truckers. They have the best and most UV resistant bungees. I usually can get three to four years of year round, weather exposed use before I have to replace them.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
A flash of inspiration hit me ... McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/1608

They seldom disappoint, and they had the precise lengths I needed. I went ahead and ordered a couple of the "salt-water-resistant" ones with stainless steel hooks, and a couple "UV-resistant" ones with plastic coated steel hooks. We'll see how they hold up.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Just to be clear, I didn't intend to drive all the way to North Carolina with bungees securing the boards. It was raining when I was loading the roof rack and after I took time to get the sail bag secured, I didn't want to take so much time on the boards. I was making a local stop before continuing so my thought process was to use that stop to secure the boards with the normal straps when the rain would hopefully slacken (I was on a schedule to get to that stop as well). The problem was that I forgot about it as soon as I got there 10 minutes later … :solame::solame:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I bought box of these about 2 years ago for the boat. I like the flat ribbon bungee and the square shaped plastic hook. My wife saw them and immediately snatched them out of my boat box and appropriated them for her bicycle car rack. I had to go back to Lowes and buy another set or 2.
Brand is Blue Hawk. These are 48" in length. They have been in use for 2 years and still look good.
IMG_5363.JPG

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Davis Instruments makes some really nice ones with SS clips on the end and webbing covers. VERY strong, totally abrasion resistant. Not cheap. I use them to:
  • Secure the rudder up when docked.
  • Keep slack out of my dock lines (like a snubber, but on the leeward side).
  • Secure kayak on wing deck.
They are available in a range of lengths and stiffness, but are really for HD applications.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/minishockle-black-24-61-cm/

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I buy a container with mixed pairs from Home Depot every other year........ they work perfect. Throw them away when they begin to fray. But for heavy duty use I have 4 black rubber bungy cords.... heavy steel hooks. Had these for going on 5 years and still elastics and strong.

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A flash of inspiration hit me ... McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/1608

They seldom disappoint, and they had the precise lengths I needed. I went ahead and ordered a couple of the "salt-water-resistant" ones with stainless steel hooks, and a couple "UV-resistant" ones with plastic coated steel hooks. We'll see how they hold up.
Put a note on your calendar to update us 18 months from now....;)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I just bought some off the role at my local chandlery to secure my main sail cover. The one I'm replacing was far past its prime. Now if I can just find a way to make knots in it that won't come undone.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
I bought box of these about 2 years ago for the boat. I like the flat ribbon bungee and the square shaped plastic hook. My wife saw them and immediately snatched them out of my boat box and appropriated them for her bicycle car rack. I had to go back to Lowes and buy another set or 2.
Brand is Blue Hawk. These are 48" in length. They have been in use for 2 years and still look good.
View attachment 163881

We have some of these and I love them. We don't use them for any tough application, but they work very well and seem easy to separate. I should get more in different lengths.