DIY ST4000+ Remote

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I thought I would post to "all sailors" for this project. I have been working on a Remote control for my ST4000+ for under $100. I know there is one unit for around $200 and I might have bought one but I do like to tinker in electronics.
The prototype has been hooked up for a few days and it seems to work well.
I get about a 25 feet range with no external antenna. It's based on the Arduino microcontroller which has a lot of support and is; well, Cheap:D.
If you have an electronics background and have always been saying " I could do that", then take a look at my quickly thrown together site to get the info.
It's for non-commercial purposes and all code is freely downloadable. The hardware is also very available from different sources.

Have Fun and try not to let the magic smoke escape;)

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ericn/

PS: The Video on the site is not very good, I'll see if I can make a better one.

Joe A

Feb 4, 2008
Macgregor 26S Lake Wallenpaupack / EastCoast
Nice job

Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Very nice. I have a friend who sailed his Catalina 34 from Vancouver, BC, down to Mexico.

He wrote:

- wireless remote for the autopilot - never bother to turn it on. We just reach back to the control head on the pedestal and push the buttons by feel

I've always wondered why folks on small boats (cockpits on boats to at least 50 feet aren't much bigger than most of ours are) seem to find the need for a remote for their APs.

Anyone venture to guess, beyond the "cool" factor?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Very nice. I have a friend who sailed his Catalina 34 from Vancouver, BC, down to Mexico.

He wrote:

- wireless remote for the autopilot - never bother to turn it on. We just reach back to the control head on the pedestal and push the buttons by feel

I've always wondered why folks on small boats (cockpits on boats to at least 50 feet aren't much bigger than most of ours are) seem to find the need for a remote for their APs.

Anyone venture to guess, beyond the "cool" factor?
Sometimes I'm "indisposed" while underway, and don't want to interrupt my crew's enjoyment of their various diversions to keep the boat from clipping that bouy. ;)
To me, that can be worth a couple hundred dollars.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
ST4000 remote

Having a remote for an autopilot is priceless especially if you are single handing and don't have roller furling. (From 15 years of actual experience using a remote that way) Not necessary but it sure is safer and easier.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Nice not to have to leave the shade of the coach roof at every crossing situation. May try this one....thanks for sharing it.
Will it work in the new "evolution" Raymarine units?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Nice not to have to leave the shade of the coach roof at every crossing situation. May try this one....thanks for sharing it.
Will it work in the new "evolution" Raymarine units?
I would have to say no. I believe the new ones use seatalking which is Nmea2000.
I haven't looked at the new ones and probably won't.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Darn!:evil:
Had to replace with newer as old unit had water damage from bad gasket. really like the older unit as much easier to install, fewer parts too.

Apr 27, 2010
Updated the Document that shows a different enclosure and a picture of the finished project.

Jul 9, 2004
- - Hudson
Trying to build a remote

Thanks for your wonderful website. I am giving construction a try, just waiting for my Arduino to arrive, have everything else in hand.

Unfortunately the transistors specified (2N4400 and 2N4402) are[FONT=&quot] apparently obsolete, no longer made. I have ordered, and will try 2N4401 and 2N4403.

Thanks for the plans and the idea. [/FONT]