diy gimbal for 2 burner alcol stove

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everyone, putting the finishing touches on my gimbal, just wondering how high should I raise the stove from the bottom shelve, I'll post pictures of where I'm at later tonight

Aug 17, 2013
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgI need to widen the legs, I have some 2 inch flat bar that will be added to the legs, but before I do I need to know what height I need to make the legs

Aug 17, 2013
image.jpg
Ok so I cut down my legs and riveted the 2 inch flat bar, it gives me a good lean angle, now all I have to do os figure out how to install in on the boat

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
How high to raise the stove is controlled by two things, bottom and back clearance. Most stoves are used in calm to moderate and steady conditions so extreme ability to tilt is not necessary. A gimbaled stove is desirable in a rolling anchorage as well as on a steady angle of heel. Actually having stop points where the stove front and back hits the supporting base will prevent excessive motion. A locking mechanism to prevent the stove from swinging when the stove is not in use is a must. Pot holders are also a necessity.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The stop points are important as they determine how far out you want it to swing. Otherwise, the higher/longer the legs, the further out it goes. You don’t want it swinging out and burning or hitting the cook. Are you damping the swinging with any weights? A pot of soup can get moving in a rhythm that will fling half of it out if the motion isn’t slowed down. The weight of what’s in the pots can also make the stove top-heavy, so the added weights help it to remember which way is down.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I have a Sea Swing stove and the solid brass base probably weighs more than10 pounds, to prevent it from swinging on its own. It will be interesting to see how yours works out if it is unweighted.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Test the swing with the largest full pots (both burners) on it you will use, just to be certain. The center of gravity will change when loaded.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
A couple of ways to dampen and restrict motion... Use a chain or surgical tubing from the bottom of the base to a point on the boat below the stove. You can also add some plastic washers and wingnuts to the mounting/pivot bolts to adjust resistance. Just a thought. I dont have much experience with a gimbal stove