DIY boat ramps

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Wait you walk on top of that concrete divider between the slips to board and it is only 5" wide?

My wife would kill me, she hated the stern gang plank slips when we looked at boats because they were very half donkey. I pay extra to have a slip with full dock on one side now, a little extra but so much easier loading and an working around the boat.

I assume that you have her and the kids grab the boat first then step onto it too. If you can't board on the bow, then I'd look for another slip.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Wait you walk on top of that concrete divider between the slips to board and it is only 5" wide?

My wife would kill me, she hated the stern gang plank slips when we looked at boats because they were very half donkey. I pay extra to have a slip with full dock on one side now, a little extra but so much easier loading and an working around the boat.

I assume that you have her and the kids grab the boat first then step onto it too. If you can't board on the bow, then I'd look for another slip.
It never was an issue until we moved to our new slip. It’s a nicer larger slip so a ramp will work ok. I was just wondering if those that have ramps do they leave them on their boat or on the slip.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I see ramps left at the slip for day sailing.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Here is another reasonable option. $57.99
7.5 ft Aluminum Motorcycle Loading Ramps, Foldable

View attachment 147118 View attachment 147119

• High Quality: Constructed of durable aluminum, max load capacity up to 340 kg/ 750 lb
  • Foldable: Can be folded into a compact size, easy to carry around
  • Lightweight: Convenient for storage and carrying
  • Protective: Soft tipped design reduces abrasion between your ride and the ramp
  • Labor-Saving: Provides a greater traction and make it easy to load
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Load Capacity: 340 Kg/ 750 Lb
  • Max. Length: Approx. 226 cm/ 7.5’
  • Unfolded Dimension: 226 x 30 cm/89 x 11.8'' (LxW)
  • Folded Dimension: 115 x 30 cm/ 45.3 x 11.8'' (LxW)

Being fold-able will make it easier to carry and store aboard.
@pateco You need to delete this post IMMEDIATELY, Then go buy a few hundred of those, stencil the word MARINE on the side and put them on eBay marked up $200. I'll take a 10% commission for thinking of it...

Seriously, Great idea!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'll take a 10% commission for thinking of it...
:thumbup: I want in. I'll take a 10% commission, as well, for thinking up the safety stickers that you should put all over them as warnings about propper use and weight restrictions, (well under the common load). I'm saving you millions here in litigation. 10% measly percent to mitigate a loss that would put you under in civil court:soapbox:

But, I agree with rgranger, :shhh:.

- Will (Dragonfly)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
@pateco You need to delete this post IMMEDIATELY, Then go buy a few hundred of those, stencil the word MARINE on the side and put them on eBay marked up $200. I'll take a 10% commission for thinking of it...

Seriously, Great idea!
I was thinking that if you welded some vertical tube sockets along one side, you could add some insert-able aluminum poles with a little Dyneema strung between to add a safety hand rail. Then charge $500 LOL

$18/each on Alibaba in quantities of 100, and they say they will customize.
Ramp 5.JPG

Last edited:

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
I built a boarding step using seaboard or as some know it starboard. Pretty basic really, attached canvas gunwale guard around the edge, drilled holes in the corners for line, secured carabiner to the line. The biners clip onto the stanchion bases at the gate, makes getting aboard from the dinghy much easier, if you have a drilled toe rail it is real easy to secure it. The original intent was to make it easier for the dog to get aboard from the dinghy but as we get less limber it helps a lot. Pic shows it on my previous boat. When underway we just stow it in a locker.
38272_142739315754607_5184383_n.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I built a boarding step using seaboard or as some know it starboard. Pretty basic really, attached canvas gunwale guard around the edge, drilled holes in the corners for line, secured carabiner to the line. The biners clip onto the stanchion bases at the gate, makes getting aboard from the dinghy much easier, if you have a drilled toe rail it is real easy to secure it. The original intent was to make it easier for the dog to get aboard from the dinghy but as we get less limber it helps a lot. Pic shows it on my previous boat. When underway we just stow it in a locker.
View attachment 147157
Here's another photo of a simple cheap boarding step. Made from a piece 1x something and some spare line.

From the photo of your boat it doesn't appear to have a gate. Part of the issue may be climbing over the life line. If you add a gate, then it will be possible to step through the life line.

If you hang a step and don't add a gate, place the step near the shrouds. The shrouds will act as a handhold while stepping over the lifeline.

IMG_0484.jpg

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
He
Here's another photo of a simple cheap boarding step. Made from a piece 1x something and some spare line.

From the photo of your boat it doesn't appear to have a gate. Part of the issue may be climbing over the life line. If you add a gate, then it will be possible to step through the life line.

If you hang a step and don't add a gate, place the step near the shrouds. The shrouds will act as a handhold while stepping over the lifeline.

View attachment 147161
hey thanks. That’s pretty clever

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
He

hey thanks. That’s pretty clever
Thanks. Necessity is the mother of invention. Last year the lake was about 40 inches above average. The water was just below the top of my finger and I couldn't get on the boat because it was too big a step. We were all pretty creative that year.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you can find a way to include handrails it would be nice. When I was a kid I'd launch myself off a dock without really knowing how it would turn out. Now, I kinda like predictability.