DIY boat ramps

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
does anyone have any example of boat ramps that you made that you use to get onto your boat? I’m not sure if it’s called a ramp or not. My wife doesn’t like stepping on to the boat and wants me to make a “ramp”. Just curious
Thanks
Mike

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
HMMMMM???, Lots of variables in that question. Boat's freeboard, dock height, what part of the boat you are boarding, individual physical ability, etc. The proverbial "picture" of the situation would help. Many types of commercially available "steps" can be purchased or copied if you like to tinker or are skilled in that sort of construction activity. Those steps would divide the step to the deck into several shorter distances. The ramp idea might work in some situations like boarding directly from the stern, but boarding from either side would introduce a heel to the process when someone put their weight onto the ramp. NOTE: all experimentation with ramp access should be done while wearing an appropriate PFD and during warm weather in the event of an unexpected swim.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You are talking about a gang plank. A way of walking from dock onto boat. There are a few options. There are gang planks that attach to the dock, planks that attach to the boat and cantilevered planks that bridge most of the way. Some depends on your docking habitats, are you on a floating dock? Are you often in new or multiple marinas? Is the tidal range large?

Some ideas. Not hard to build.

- Will (Dragonfly)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
At low tide, we cannot get the boat close enough to the dock to step aboard, so I just bought a 12' section of 2"x10" at Home Depot, cut it to the right length for our dock, and called it a solution. 2 in. x 10 in. x 12 ft. #2 Pressure-Treated Lumber

Looks something like this LOL

Cheap and easy. but not real portable due to the weight. we leave it on our dock. From reading around, the most popular DIY option, is a an aluminum ladder with an appropriate board (ply is the most common) riveted along it...simple enough to knock up in a few hours, and both wider lighter than my 2"x10" lumber solution.

Here is a pic

Buy a used extension ladder on Craig's list, and have at it.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
These are all great. Thanks. So my next question is what do you do with the plank when you aren’t around, just leave it on the slip?

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
I have a very narrow 5 inch space on concrete between the slips. I walk/balance myself halfway out to step onto the boat. She does not want to balance herself or have the kids balance themselves like I do and asked if I could make a ramp. Attached is a picture showing how narrow the space is

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This was much funnier in the movie

I'd like to have a gangplank for when we tie up in our slip stern first. We have an open transom. Lots of variables to get to the right solution

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
They don't call those things 'catwalks' for nothing. Use the dock side attachment kind. Unless you need one at another destination. Carry it like a surfboard, against the lifeline stanchion.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Since the issue is unique to your home dock, I would leave it on the dock. Same answer if you are a day sailor or anchor out.

If you are cruising to other marinas, and they have similar problems, then you want to take the gangplank with you. Most marinas on Lake Erie have wide floating docks, so your problem would be rare here.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
These are all great. Thanks. So my next question is what do you do with the plank when you aren’t around, just leave it on the slip?
Ours stays on the dock.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Here is another reasonable option. $57.99
7.5 ft Aluminum Motorcycle Loading Ramps, Foldable

folding ramp.jpg folding ramp 2.jpg

• High Quality: Constructed of durable aluminum, max load capacity up to 340 kg/ 750 lb
  • Foldable: Can be folded into a compact size, easy to carry around
  • Lightweight: Convenient for storage and carrying
  • Protective: Soft tipped design reduces abrasion between your ride and the ramp
  • Labor-Saving: Provides a greater traction and make it easy to load
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Load Capacity: 340 Kg/ 750 Lb
  • Max. Length: Approx. 226 cm/ 7.5’
  • Unfolded Dimension: 226 x 30 cm/89 x 11.8'' (LxW)
  • Folded Dimension: 115 x 30 cm/ 45.3 x 11.8'' (LxW)

Being fold-able will make it easier to carry and store aboard.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Can you back the boat into the slip?
No. The slip forms a V shape. But the way I have fenders to break the boat when I’m bringing in the boat set up it makes it too far to step onto from the front.