Ditch bag?

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
In reading the many threads about that 29-ft sailboat lost off the west coast of FL, I wondered about how many of us actually keep a "Ditch Bag" aboard our boats? I realize that most of us are probably recreational sailors sailing the rivers, lakes, and bays around the US and make an occasional coastal cruise. So if you do have a "Ditch Bag" aboard your boat, what do you keep in it? If you do not feel one would be necessary, why not?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I carry one with a few MREs, water, hand held GPS, hand held radio, flares, first aid kit, flashlight, hand held compass, whistle, signal mirror, extra batteries, jackets and space blankets.

Mar 23, 2009
Rafiki 35 North East, MD
For now at least, we are coastal cruisers, so our ditch bag is packed with that in mind. I have a small waterproof bag stowed near my quarterberth where it can be easily grabbed while heading up the companionway steps. It has an older but still working handheld radio, two handheld but ultra bright CREE flashlights, extra batteries, a boy scout survival kit (whistle, signal mirror, compass), a small roll of duct tape, a small waterproof first aid kit, two bottles of water, and a laminated card with the toll free customer service number for AmEx should we be without wallets but need access to money in an emergency. I like the idea of including space blankets and think I'll add a pair to our bag.

We have an inflatable dinghy we either tow or stow on the foredeck, so I think it likely we would be in that should the worst occur. For that reason and because we like going on dinghy adventures while at anchor, I also have a waterproof plastic canister containing an emergency dinghy patch kit, a whistle, and a small first aid kit lashed to the underside of our dinghy's seat with shock cord.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have a LIST of stuff that would go with me if that ever happened. I have a bag it would go in. I don't have a liferaft, so what would I go in?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
When I go out of Galveston Bay, I have a ditch bag. Bottled water, whistle, mirror, waterproof LED light, handheld VHF, handheld GPS, and the new LED flare. If I go down in Galveston Bay I will grab the rum and sit on my bottom spreaders until the USCG arrives, my feet won't even be wet.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I carry one with a few MREs, water, hand held GPS, hand held radio, flares, first aid kit, flashlight, hand held compass, whistle, signal mirror, extra batteries, jackets and space blankets.
:thumbup:
To practically the same kit as you I added...
1) Nylon string
2) A magnesium fire starter
3) Basic fish hook, cork and titanium scuba knife
4) Water proof iPhone package.
5) Water purification tablets.
6) small channel lock and screwdriver.
7) personal meds in sealed bottle which we rotate.

All of the above in 2 sealed, self floating, snap lined together, and with a snap to our PFD's.

Along side it I have a swim mask, snorkel and fins in a bag, 2 self inflating safety vests (Bright Yellow).

The most versatile use item and the smallest is the Space Blankets.
https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-My...1466900794&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=mylar+blanke
I can use these like a wet suit, sun cover, solar still, water bag, big mirror, wind break, temporary shelter.

Perhaps I am thinking Gilligan's Island:rolleyes: or Naval Survival School but...

I want my crew to survive!

Jim...

PS: In Survival School the one item we had to get to shore with was our SHOES. Guess why the basic mask snorkel and fins?

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Along these lines what type of bag would use/ recommend to put these these items in to stay relatively dry?

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
I sail in Chesapeake and recently got stranded in a dink sailor for several hours and figured out the most important thing is water if you are a salt water sailor it's amazing how thirsty you get wrestling in the water tryin to right a small boat I had water bottles but they all lost when went over now gonna keep a bag with water tied to boat and a bag with flotation and water bottles . Funny one would think water bottles would float seeing as how there is that little air pocket at top of bottle

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
In reading the many threads about that 29-ft sailboat lost off the west coast of FL, I wondered about how many of us actually keep a "Ditch Bag" aboard our boats? I realize that most of us are probably recreational sailors sailing the rivers, lakes, and bays around the US and make an occasional coastal cruise. So if you do have a "Ditch Bag" aboard your boat, what do you keep in it? If you do not feel one would be necessary, why not?
We've sailed for many years w/o having one prepared; but then, of course, we have never sunk and so have never "needed" one. As of late we've been carrying a 4-person ocean life raft which has its own emergency contents including some food and water. The only thing "missing" from it is a VHF radio-so, to that end, we have one of the newer Standard Horizon, the HX870, which is actually only one of 3 hand-held VHF radios we have aboard. But--it floats, is waterproof, and can send a DSC emergency call w/ GPS position, etc. Getting the raft deployed in a matter of seconds would be a challenge at the present; much slower than grabbing a ditch bag on the way out--but then, the water temperature here off California is usually in the mid- to low 60's F--basically, a 4-hr in water "survival time", lacking an immersion suit. If not rescued within that brief time the only contents of the typical ditch bag that would prove useful or "necessary" might be the water, the VHF radio, and flares if you can keep them dry enough. Jumping in a dinghy with a bag, once again, would require the radio, flares, and water but with the onshore winds typical of California, one would likely be driven ashore in a few hours--although that is not guaranteed. However, even a full day, or two at most, adrift in a dinghy seems unlikely here in southern California if going down within 60 n.mi. of shore.

So, a "ditch" bag for coastal use here would include, IMHO, only water, waterproof VHF radio, a flare kit, dive light (= waterproof) and some high energy snacks. I'm assuming people going into the water will have on the proper PDF. The only non-standard thing I'm also including is a pair or swimmer's goggles and a snorkel attached to the life jacket or in one of the pockets. If you're in the water, a snorkel will help you breathe w/o swallowing seawater, the goggles will prevent salt irritation of the eyes.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Jim,
Thanks for the "heads up" on the dry bag. I presently have a "dry box" however, I was always a bit concerned about the top popping open and all the contents spilling out. Also, there was no provision to attach a tether. I didn't purchase the bag that you linked to only because the shipping time was a few weeks. Instead, I bought a similar "dry bag" labeled Infityle on Amazon prime--will receive it in two days. It is a 15L bag that has a shoulder strap. Should be able to fit all the safety gear & a few bottles of water and throw it in a dinghy or life raft without it spilling all the contents. Also can throw it over your shoulder it you have to jump overboard. Hope I never have to use it; however, it will be ready to go if I need it.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you're in the water, a snorkel will help you breathe w/o swallowing seawater, the googles will prevent salt irritation of the eyes.
And the Fins for mobility and make shift shoes. Goggles for vision in driving rains too ( used some in a squall).
My set with bug out bag...
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/us-divers-adults-yucatan-snorkel-and-fins-set#repChildCatid=1018555

I forgot... Duct Tape (small roll).... (make shift wet suit with Space Blanket and knife)
@Kings Gambit you got me thinking (dangerous). This is thin and light and cheap...
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-44/...Premium-Lycra-Dive-Skin-Jumpsuit.html#tabdesc

This is handy for your FM radio or iPhone...
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-540/168100/Sealife-Float-Strap.html

Switching my screwdriver for this...
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-247/031060/Innovative-T2-Scuba-Toolpack.html

Amazingly Scuba stuff is meant for the ocean.:doh:
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Also can throw it over your shoulder it you have to jump overboard. Hope I never have to use it; however, it will be ready to go if I need it.
I have all 4 of my Ditch (bug out) stuff tethered in a chain, withlike 4' of nylon cord and these snaps..
https://www.amazon.com/Dive-Rite-Ma...1466958547&sr=8-13&keywords=snap+clips+marine

I clip about 8' line to me ( the head mule or subtitute), plan is to toss all floating containers at the same time I jump free of burden. I also have 4- 10' "tethers" to bind the crew together. Don't forget to throw out life rings, all PFD's, seat pads. etc.

If I ever go island hopping, I had thought about this RO hand water maker.
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-sas07.html

If only Amelia Earhart had one of those.:(

I am just stimulating ideas of how to perhaps survive an "Abandon Ship", stay together, and be rescued or spotted. Each to his on needs.
Jim...

PS: The Admiral and I have 2 drills a year and a new crew gets my Safety Lecture (10 minutes of shear boredom):p

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
When we go into big water, we generally have a "go bag" at the helm. I have water, signals, and a VHF in there.. Most of the sailing here is in pretty shallow water, (Lake Pontchartrain is 12-15 feet deep) so there would be lotsa boat parts sticking up even if on bottom.. A lot of the water north of the Gulf Islands is that shallow as well..