dis-continuous standing rigging on a 1996 beneteau oceanis 400 replacement ?

Nov 17, 2021
bennetae oceanis 400 morro bay ,ca
Ahoy mates ,
This is my first sailing vessel that I resonantly purchased and I am not trying to rationalize keeping my standing rigging as it seems to work just fine for me underway , but If I am understanding what my local rigging guy is telling me is that my rig is unique in such with it having discontinuous rigging and the gentleman is suggesting that I would have to go on the hard and a have crane pull my rig to properly replace all the standing rigging . He also suggested that nylon would not be an option and I would have to stay on course with cables and turnbuckles.This vessel has very low hours on it although I would suggest that it is the original standing rigging and looks very good to me . This gentlemen wants 500 to go aloft and inspect the rig/spreaders/turnbuckles/cables. Does anyone have any light to shed on this subject matter . Thanks and Cheers ,Ben

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Lots of boats have discontinuous rigging, so that in itself is not a problem. Rigging does have a finite lifespan, so depending on the age of the existing rig closer inspection and replacement may be warranted. Age is generally as much of an issue as hours, so depending on the environment where the boat was sailed (salt vs fresh water) the fact that your boat has low hours may not help much. Nylon is generally not used for rigging as it’s much too stretchy. High tech fibers like Dyneema could be used but that brings its own considerations like chafe and UV resistance.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Because you're in Cali, it can be safely assumed that the rig has been engaged since the boat was new. They say that 20 yrs is a GUIDELINE time for replacement.. that guideline is followed by several asterisks. Elements, frequency of use and how hard the boat was sailed all figure into the equation. Boats in my neck of the woods tend to age more gracefully..
So, how old is your rig? That's the first question that you need to answer, followed by what you know about the boats use over the years.
The local rigger also has a vested interest in your purchasing a new rigging. Shop the numbers.. Beneteau itself would be a good place to seek answers... Garhauer in Cali is another resource..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello Ben and Welcome to the SBO forum. You have chosen a grand boat.

Rigging is a critical piece of the boats well-being. It must be strong in materials and design. If it fails the whole boat can fail.

You post that the rigging is “discontinuous” as if that is a problem. It is not. It is a structural design. Generally not used on smaller boats due to cost.

A simple description is that continuous is a single cable or rod running from deck to mast top. Discontinuous is a serious of cables or rods that connect the rig from deck to mast top. At each spreader one rod stops and the next length begins. Each spreader has terminal hardware that grabs the cable/rod and adjusts the cable/rod.

While the rig is considered robust, there is a lot of hardware and adjustments needed to accomplish keeping the rig in tune.

Here is a link to a decent write up describing the rig in more detail. Continuous vs Discontinuous Standing Rigging

If inspection is to be accomplished on each of the terminal points for a 25 year old rig, taking it down is a reasonable option. It is not about looks, it is about examining the rig parts for micro cracks of the terminal points.

When finished the rig will be able to once again sail on the ocean.

Regarding “nylon”. It is not a standing rigging material option. Properly sized it functions well as an anchor line or as dock lines.

$500 seems very reasonable price to go aloft and inspect rigging on a boat your size and complex structure. It would help to get a sense of what is the rig condition. Think of it as an annual medical inspection before going in for an operation. You may and it is likely, need to have the rig tuned, upgraded, replaced. Inspection is first step on that path.

If you intend to sail your boat out of Morro Bay to the Channel Islands and perhaps to more distant ports, knowing that the rig is sound is good seamanship.

Nov 17, 2021

Rigging is a critical piece of the boats well-being. It must be strong in materials and design. If it fails the whole boat can fail.

You post that the rigging is “discontinuous” as if that is a problem. It is not. It is a structural design. Generally not used on smaller boats due to cost.

A simple description is that continuous is a single cable or rod running from deck to mast top. Discontinuous is a serious of cables or rods that connect the rig from deck to mast top. At each spreader one rod stops and the next length begins. Each spreader has terminal hardware that grabs the cable/rod and adjusts the cable/rod.

While the rig is considered robust, there is a lot of hardware and adjustments needed to accomplish keeping the rig in tune.

Here is a link to a decent write up describing the rig in more detail. Continuous vs Discontinuous Standing Rigging

If inspection is to be accomplished on each of the terminal points for a 25 year old rig, taking it down is a reasonable option. It is not about looks, it is about examining the rig parts for micro cracks of the terminal points.

Regarding “nylon”. It is not a standing rigging material option. Properly sized it functions well as an anchor line or as dock lines.

$500 seems very reasonable price to go aloft and inspect rigging on a boat your size and complex structure. It would help to get a sense of what is the rig condition. Think of it as an annual medical inspection before going in for an operation. You may and it is likely, need to have the rig tuned, upgraded, replaced. Inspection is first step on that path.

If you intend to sail your boat out of Morro Bay to the Channel Islands and perhaps to more distant ports, knowing that the rig is sound is good seamanship.
Lots of boats have discontinuous rigging, so that in itself is not a problem. Rigging does have a finite lifespan, so depending on the age of the existing rig closer inspection and replacement may be warranted. Age is generally as much of an issue as hours, so depending on the environment where the boat was sailed (salt vs fresh water) the fact that your boat has low hours may not help much. Nylon is generally not used for rigging as it’s much too stretchy. High tech fibers like Dyneema could be used but that brings its own considerations like chafe and UV resistance.

Thanks so much for your well said advise. I will take it to heed and call a couple different riggers to get quotes on a inspection. The previous riggers said dyneema would not be an option for my rig? Is that sound advise? Thanks ,Ben

Oct 22, 2014
Dyneema is being used as a product for rigging boats. It is not what you get off the shelf at West Marine. It is a pre-stretched heat treated product specifically designed for use in rigging. It likely will not save you any money, but it will lighten the weight of the standing rigging.

It will have a shorter life than say Stainless Wire. I think dyneema is about 7 years, as compared to 12-15 for Stainless wire. Rod Rigging has about a 9 year expectant life.

Not all Riggers use nor advise Dyneema rigging.

Nov 17, 2021
Thanks for your reply.I understand what you are saying .. Im going to have my rigging inspected . I spoke with my mate that has sailed around the world literally.... today and said he has never changed out a rig or standing rigging in the 50+ years of sailing except for one tune and inspection and owned a plethora of blue water cruisers. He said riggers are in business take your money and he suggested to carry aboard a large cable cutter...lol what was funny about it is he said it all with a straight face. He did suggest to always have a reef in ready to go when I get underway. It is very interesting everyone's different perspectives. Cheers,Ben

Oct 22, 2014
Ben. I bought my boat when she was 42 years old. While not a World Blue water cruiser, she is a stout coastal cruiser of solid design. Original rigging. She had a bit of slack in her shrouds. Decide to take mast down and refit as I like sailing and intend to cruise the NW waters from Washington to Alaska. When the mast was on the stands, I inspected the spreaders. Like other parts of the boat, the spreaders had not received regular maintenance. Not unusual. The issue was that they were made of spruce. They were dry rotten. When you squeezed them they collapsed like a sponge. With the refit, I now have a strongs and sound mast and rig that will stand up to the adventures I plan to take.

We each have to decide what we want in our boat and how we want it to perform. I am glad your dock mate never had an issue at sea.

Fair winds and know your boat before you leave port. She is all you got to take you back home safely.

Nov 17, 2021
Could not agree more! plan for the worse at sea and hope the best. Redundancy is key ! Im going to post what if anything the rigger finds just to potentially help anyone out their on this subject matter!