Dirty fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tevolk

I have a '72 columbia 30 with galvanized fuel tank, our last trip out I had the fuel pick up tube get plugged and upon removing the fuel sending unit I could see what looked like flaking rust in the bottom. I pumped out the tank and when filtering the fuel I saw that it wasn't rust but what appears to be a brown film coming off of the inside of the tank. In the area that it has come off the grey galvanized metal of the tank can be seen. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Was it a coating to seal the tank? or varnish accumulation from the fuel over many years? Not sure if I should attempt to clean the tank or remove it. Anyone remove a tank from a Columbia of the same era? The tank appears to be set in a fg well with some type of bedding compound.
Any information or feed back is appreciated.

T

tevolk

After more research I did find out the fuel tank was made for Columbia / Coronado by Vic Rusco Sheet Metal (1972)and they had coated the galvanized steel tanks with Buna, which is now flaking off. Now have to work on how to remove it, as there are kits used in the aircraft industry with a cleaner and liquid Buna sealant which you pour in and re-coat by rotating tank.

T

tvolk

The engraved plate with all the specs is on the top of the tank. The tank is bedded in a very hard epoxy or polyester filler so before attempting to remove it I will first flush and wash out the tank remove all traces of fuel, remove all hoses connections then will cut three inspection openings between baffles, if all of tank is sound will strip inside coating with solvent & then recoat with Buna-L.

Status
Not open for further replies.