Dink Question

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
I have a West Marine 310 inflatable (yes I know the PVC dinks are pretty much junk, but I got it for a good price and it's nearly new and it'll last a couple of years maybe). There are 4 loop attachments (see picture) on the floor slightly forward. What are they for? Are they actually attachment points for a bridle?

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Strap down the gas tank or a cooler-seat would be my thought.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Possibly for a rowing seat attachment. Is there a seat included in your purchase?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'd agree on the fuel tank.
As for "PVC dinks are pretty much junk", our last Zodiac was reputedly a PVC construction. It lasted 9 YEARS of daily use as our tender, on a boat that was at anchor each night about 360 days every year, but one. Sometimes over a mile from a dinghy dock, pushed by a 15 HP at around 20 knots, in every sort of weather the tropics can dish out. If that's junk, then please point me towards something better.

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
Wow that's impressive, it gives me hope. Did you keep the tubes sprayed down with a UV protectant or had a cover?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Nope, none of the above. I believe the secret to longevity of inflatables is inflation. We keep ours about as firm as a basketball. That way there's no flex and it won't be damaged by sharp objects protruding from docks, etc.
Also, it is NEVER towed and goes on deck for all trips. It comes up on the davits EVERY single night, as well. After about 7 years the grey was thinning in patches so we bought a can of inflatable boat paint, but even to the last day we used it, it never leaked air.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
I remove motor and tow backwards. I pull it all the way up to the rails on the reverse transom. It gives me a half of knot more speed by extending my water line. Ok really it gives me half knot over dragging it behind the boat

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
So what if it lasts 5 years, a hypalon dink is 2.5X the cost of PVC. For casual coastal cruisers, PVC is more cost effective. Keep it covered and it should last indefinitely.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Absolutely agree with Big Easy and Capta. And living here in the PNW uv rays are not as big a concern as south Florida.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
SUN? Is that the orange thing that changes the clouds from black to grey? I thought they called that a UFO....

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I got 13 years out of a WM/Decitex (PVC) Zodiac RIB. Been taking care of this kind of gear for many years and I scrub and triple coat my gear with 303 UV Protectant each spring. It has the added benefit of making the skin slippery which helps when you glance off a splintery dinghy dock.