Dining In The BVIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

More BVI Questions We plan to circle the entire island and visit as much a possible. Where can we dine? What places should be avoided. We are not just planning to go ashore to drink our faces off (my wife is with me other wise we would). We are looking for some suggestions of locations that we can go to after we anchor for the night. Thanks

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
David, you might want to pull out a chart.

The islands (plural) actually surround you. Most cruising is done on the Von Drake Passage. (Did I get that right? It's been a few years)

D

David

Thanks Fred...Where do we eat?

Ok Fred...that helps. So where do we eat ater we anchor? Thanks

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
NE of Tortola ....

...is a very small island called Bellamy Cay with a restaurant and bar on it. Food is great and so is the view. We loved anchoring out there. It is located in the middle of Trellis Bay. Don't miss it!

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Get one of the cruising guides

There are a ton of options all over the place. Check out the link below for some specific, recent experience in the area. Some charter companies will send you a nice charter guide book with writeups of all the places to check out - and the snorkling, eating, drinking and other fun stuff that abounds in the BVI's. It's been 6 years almost to the day since the last time I was there. I can still almost taste the Friday night buffet at Foxy's, and I long for an original painkiller from the Soggy Dollar. There are a bunch of fun places to eat in Cane Garden Bay, Sopers Hole, and in many other places around the islands. Good luck! Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Lake Lanier, GA
pick a mooring

Just about all the mooring fields are attached to a restaurant or bar. Saba rock, Cooper Island Beach Club, Willy T, Peg Leg Charlies at Nanny Cay, Bitter End Yacht Club, a little restaurant I can't remember in the marina complex at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor....etc

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Pat, that would be....

the Bath and Turtle in VGYH. David, you should have a cruising guide on your charter boat, let that be your guide to the mooring balls and where/how to pay, where to eat and drink. You can also order your own copy on the web at cruisingguides.com Also look for a local "entertainment guide" called the Limin Times, or something close to that, for the latest news of specials, entertainment etc at bars and restaurants. And have a great time!

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau Oceania 45 Charleston
The Last Resort

The restaurant is called "The Last Resort". Great food, entertainment, and wonderful time. Fun restaurants and bars all over the BVI's. Be sure to go to the Soggy Dollar Bar at White Bay. Christine, Hull #2- 350

May 24, 2004
Catalina 320 Buffalo, NY
Fat Hog Bob's

If you are chartering with Sun Sail there is a great spot just outside their base called Fat Hog Bob's. Chuck Dickhut S/V Obsession Catalina 320

Dec 30, 2005
- - Nassau Bay, TX
Two sources of information

We've been to BVI twice in the last 3 years and the have found two excellent sources of information that made the experience very enjoyable. First, get The Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands by Nancy and Simon Scott. This book seems to be updated each year and has a great deal of information on each island, activities, anchorages or mooring fields, official government peculiarities, etc. Both USVI and BVI are covered, and good information for travelers going between the two countries. Second, a very active website/forum at www.traveltalkonline.com, with a great resource for BVI, including trip reports and interesting developments in BVI.

Mar 4, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Orcas Island, WA
Donovan's Reef

On Scrub Island near Marina Cay. Low key, excellent food, gorgeous setting. They will pick you up and drop you off at your boat in Marina Cay. Gary Wyngarden S/V Wanderlust h37.5

K

Kevin

The Baths

At the Baths on Virgin Gorda, beyond the beach, take the stairs to the top of the hill. You will find a restaurant with a fresh water pool and one of the best views of Tortola. Gift shop, outdoor band, food is okay too. Kevin

D

Dave

Foxys

Try Foxys. It is a big BBQ on the beach. Check which night they have this. We had mahi mahi, chicken, ribs. Great place. Either Foxy or a sub will sing. You can get a ball and stay late. Great fun...

Aug 1, 2005
Beneteau J-Boat Huntington, NY
Dining in the BVI

The Bad: ------------ Top of the Baths - Terrible Service, below average food, just don't go there. We were the only guests for dinner that night, and they could not provide good service. Spanish Town - In general, just poor service and poor food, however a short hike (turn right onto main road), brings you to a very good place in about 15 minutes of walking (only 10 minutes on the way back, down hill) Foxy's - No service (buffet style, and long lines for drinks), crowded, food is better then ok. There is something about this place that makes the visit very enjoyable for most ... have no idea what it is, but I hate waiting endlessly for my Rum. The Best: ------------ The main resturant on Peter Island is among the worlds best. However, tie and dress shoes are required men, girls need to dress real well too. I also very much enjoyed: ------------------------- Tortola - Fat Hog Bobs. For some reason most of the food on Tortola tastes similiar (does Pusser's own many of them ??), with the exception of this place ... I find the seafood dishes are oustanding, everyone says the whole menu is served well. Marina Cay - The only resturant, the food is just ok, but the location, ambience, really good service, and excellent deserts make up for the food being average. Anegada - One of the dives features a barbaque lobster dinner, that is very good. You order your dinner ahead of time by radio (e.g. main entree .. lobster, chicken, steak, etc.), then it is served home style on the beach. Saba Rock - Good Food, Great Ambience (almost every seat has a view), Superior service of any location in the BVI. The owner, David, runs a tight ship, and is on hand most nights.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 320 Lake Grapevine
Puhee's at Cane Garden Bay and others

When you arrive at Cane Garden bay, Puhee's (sp?) is the furthest bar on the beach to the right, if you catch the moorings at the center of the bay, you will need to dinghy over, or it is a bit of a hike. The night we were there, he was actually closed, we wandered in to the bar, music was playing, but no one was there. Shortly Puhee showed up and opened the place up for us. Great drinks and great food, sailing was not a lot of fun the next day! Second the vote for the cooper island beach club, I think they shut down lunch around 3 and generally you will need reservations for dinner. Best fries around (in my humble opinion). Skinny legs in coral bay is a bit of a dive, but a lot of fun for lunch as well, check the dates as Doug Sica (one of the owners) just passed and they are going to be shut down May 7th for services. We always have had fun at Foxy's, although since it is a destination, the prices and portions are better elsewhere. I like thier Roti's. On Norman island (ok, in the bay) is the Willy T's it is ok, but we have had a better time over at Pirates (used to be Billy Bones), better food and drinks, a great place to hang out. It's funny, but most dinners we did on the boat, simple fare on the grill, chef salads that kind of thing. We saved our bigger meals ashore for lunch while we were exploring! Have not found a good place to eat in Cruz bay on St. John's, probably some great places down the back alleys, but the stuff around the bay is too much like back home for my tastes. I think that as long as you are in no rush and don't mind waiting a little longer than you would be used to here in the states, you will have a great time. I have found that a smile, a thank you and genuine interest in the people you meet will get you the best service and what to do next tips. Regards. Bruce Neon Moon

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
The one place I'd go back to is

Taboo in Diamond Cay. I think that Foxy, of the restaurant with the same name, owns it (or else his daughter does). It is a great location and one of the few places where we received pleasant and exceptional service. Diamond Cay is the anchorage in between Jost and Little Jost. Very pretty place. I'll give you some advice on eating out in the BVI's. Skip it. Next time we go I am doing most of my cooking on the boat. For the most part I did not find dining out to be a great experince. Many of the service people we dealt with there were very nice but that does not include restaurant service. Sullen and resentful seemed to be the general attitude, regardles of how pleasant we tried to be. It's not that I minded paying the high prices (they have a right to make a living) but it just wasn't a good value. Also, to have a great BVI experience order the Nancy and Simon Scott Cruising guide before you go and check out the TTOL web site that was recommended. An excellent resource. Also, if you don't know already, do not let the charter company do your provisioning for you. Go online with Bobby's Market and order your own stuff. Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.