dingy

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

george

I am considering getting a dingy for my cat 22 but with so many different types and sizes, I don't know the best way to go the limited storage space. I would like a 9' inflatable but I don't want to have to deflate it while cruising. I don't want to keep it on the foredeck. I also am not sure if towing it would be a good idea. I've heard that towing slows you down and there is a possiblity of it flipping or wrapping the towline around the prop. What about davits? Oars or motor? I'm just interested what other owners use as a dingy and how you haul it around.

R

Rico

I find...

myself using a canoe the bulk of the time. I also have an inflatable, which I use for the periodic coastal excursions. I've found that for inland lake settings (which represents the bulk of my use) when a dinghy is required, the canoe is preferable. It tows much more easily than an inflatable. It is also a boat in and of itself, being perfect for exploring the river headwaters of resevoirs on weekend sailing trips, or just using altogether independently for canoe trips. Friends who fish unanimously agree that being towed in a canoe by a sailboat is the best method of trolling, from which a sailor can indirectly benifit. On the downside, boarding and de-boarding requires deploying fenders and a little more attention and balance. It's not the most 'yachty' image, and can,t be deflated. In the end, canoes are very easy to buy and sell (at least in my area) to give one a try without buyer's/ seller's remorse. --Rico

T

Todd Osborne

Tow, tow, tow your boat!

Your boat is small enough to limit deck space to only truly necessary items. Towing a light boat will only slow you a teeny bit, and for the utility, inflatables are the best light boats (IMHO), just look around any marina.

T

Todd Osborne

Use Polypropelene tow rope

Ploypropelene rope floats & reduces your chances of fouling it in the prop when you tow.

A

Aldo

Dinghys are Fun

George: Dinghys are fun. We use ours when we cruise our Catalina 22 on the Chesapeake Bay. We have a 9 foot Seyvlor inflatable. It was only about $50 at Sam's Club. I made a bracket to hold a 2 HP motor on it and we thoroughly enjoy it, especially my boys. I read in your article that your weren't interested in deflating a dinghy when you are sailing. I've had some bad experiences towing a little sailboat behind the C-22, (under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge), and I will never tow another boat, if I can help it. If it fills with water, the pull on the tow rope is unbelievable. Todd, who wrote another response, didn't think that it would slow you down much, but from my experience, my boat doesn't point into the wind at all with even the slightest amount of drag. I'm sure you have more wind on your bay than we have on ours. Deflating an inflatable like ours is easy. The 2 main air chambers have valves that screw-off and the air comes out quickly. We do this on the deck near the bow. Another tip I want to mention is that we keep the motor on a block that is attached to the travler on the starboard side. This keeps it away from the other motor. I keep the dinghy in a sail bag when we are not using it. It doesn't take up much room. Whatever you decide on, I hope you have as much fun as we have had with our dingys. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.