dingy

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
My long range plan for an extended cruise with the economics of anchoring out makes me think a Dingy would be worthwhile. I had a chance to acquire a 8' Walker Bay dink for $200. It was like new in a garage and per PO never in the water. I had been planning on building a composite one but could not do that for this price. Considering the time saving, it seemed like a good move. I've read some reviews from user cruisers both pro and con. I would mostly tow it on a painter but preparing for rough conditions would secure on deck. I haven't tried putting it on the bow but its measurements make that seem possible and it only weighs 71lbs.
Any experience with dinghies with a C22 or comments, suggestions?
James

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Re: dingHy

That's a very good price. Like any solid dinghy they are tippy compared to inflatables. But for that cost you could buy the inflatable "ears" Walker Bay makes, or make your own from styrofoam.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I seen fenders rigged on each side and have used pool noodles on the side of fishing flat boat. It has "positive flotation rating with foam in the seats. I built one of the same type size before to use with a Hunter. The rowing ease and once aboard and seated stability was a plus as well as the easy ride on a painter.
jmc

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
James, the only thing I ever had when we would camp out with the wing keel, was an inflatable to get to and from the camping area on a little island. We never had extended sails

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
An inflatable has a lot of pluses, mainly initial stability. I have used one, found a small outboard desirable for going and coming very far. And it seems my groceries always got wet on the bottom. A hard dink seems to be more of a “work” boat. Now days the inflatables are pretty pricey and I haven't seen any used ones that seem reliable.
James

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I put my dingy and motor in the back seat of my truck. Rigid dingy hulls are difficult to deal with. Chief

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
for the size of it, its a nice boat. if you were to purchase an 8ft inflatable, you may have stability, but not as much as you may think...

we have an 8ft walker bay and we have 2 seperate friends with an 8ft inflatables... Im glad I have the walker bay and they want one to replace their inflatables with a rigid one.

with the inflatable of this size, you need to set on the side of it as the hole in the center is pretty small. this makes for a wet cold ride... not much more than an oversized inner tube with a floor.... and they dont row well at all.
with the walker bay, we can either set on the seats or set on a cushion on the floor... setting on the floor increases its stability tenfold.. and it rows reasonably well for such a small boat, and it is light to load on the boat or pull up on the beach or dock...
either motor or oars, with out 8ft rigid hull we run circles around the 8ft inflatables...

the price is right on the one you are considering, and if you were to purchase the inflatable tube ($800!!!) for it, its much better and a drier ride, but it still will never be a RIB.
the ten footer would be my preference if I were to buy new, but I got this 8ftr for $200 also... for the price I can make it work and be happy with it.

there are pros and cons to the hard vs. inflatable in every aspect of its use and storage, and these pros and cons can change somewhat depending on how big you can afford, need, or have room for, but I think if storage wasnt such an issue, nearly everyone who needs a smaller dinghy would prefer the rigid hull....

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Centerline: You might not want to run circles around my 10' inflatable w/ inf. floor. It will do 25 mph w/ a 15 hp, 75 lb, electric start Evinrude! I also have a new 3.5 hp, 41 lb , 4 stroke Tohatsu for short runs. The roll up storage, major stability is why I own an inflatable. There is nothing that rows well except a kayak and I own 3 of those.
I have owned 7 inflatable dinghys. The only one I hated was an 8' poor quality Zodiac as it porpoised under power and had no room. Chief

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Centerline, thanks for that info. Your comparisons make sense and somewhat matches my dated experience.
Chief, thanks for your viewpoint. Your rig sounds like a good one for your application.
James

Nov 26, 2012
You will have a sea anchor if you tow that boat in anything other than smooth water! Chief

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Good point Chief, I do not have experience towing this boat. I have towed a similar one but from a Hunter 30. This one looks like its shape would help keep its bow up, one thing I noticed is the only painter attach point I see is one bow eye. I have used a bridle arrangement before that worked pretty well.
James

Nov 26, 2012
James: Yes, Sumner has a bridle concept on his dinghy that I think runs across the transom and up to bow. If you can get the bridle to tie off low on the bow that will help her keep her bow up as well. Use a raised tarp secured tight around the bow and put weight in the stern. A 5 gallon water container works well. Use floating poly line for painter. Secure a fender to each corner of the transom low in the water and you won't believe the increased stability.
With your nautical background I probably didn't help much.

Have fun, Chief

PS: I was born in Sulphur Rock Arkansas.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Chief, Good comments, I would like to know more about how that bridle was rigged. I had thought the fenders rigged as outriggers would help but had not figured out where to put them or how on this particular boat. Hadn't thought of adding weight(balast), good idea.
thanks James

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
James: Sumner posted his trip to the Abacos and the bridle may be in that. If not send him a msg. Chief

Mar 20, 2012
Centerline: You might not want to run circles around my 10' inflatable w/ inf. floor. It will do 25 mph w/ a 15 hp, 75 lb, electric start Evinrude! I also have a new 3.5 hp, 41 lb , 4 stroke Tohatsu for short runs. The roll up storage, major stability is why I own an inflatable. There is nothing that rows well except a kayak and I own 3 of those.
I have owned 7 inflatable dinghys. The only one I hated was an 8' poor quality Zodiac as it porpoised under power and had no room. Chief
Chief, you are correct.
but almost always, when one is considering whether or not to fork out $200 for a dinghy, a much more expensive one is not usually in the line up of choices.... it will likely be one of the "poor quality" ones you speak of...

there is a large difference between a 8ft boat and a 10ft boat... its a 25% bigger platform, but within that 25% comes bigger and better everything well in excess of 25%, unless room is a factor, in which case its not going to be better if it cant be stored.
and guess i didnt specify, but i meant the soft floor inflatables that so many buy of this size...

and you said what I was trying to convey, "The roll up storage, major stability is why I own an inflatable"... storage is a BIG issue and of course the large air chambers that make up the boat are more stabile, but this is partially a factor of the weight of it also.
if storage, handling and cost were not an issue, we would all own RIB's, which gives the benefit of having the rigid hull with the stability and safety of having a large air chamber around us...
but not all of us have a need or desire to roll the boat up to store it, and others of us dont want to take the time to inflate and deflate it whenever we want to use it....

its all relative....:D:D

and as for towing in rough water, its not such a good idea with either boat, this is when the storage factor comes int play.
but i have towed ours in some pretty rough water, but it depends on the direction of travel vs the direction of the seas, as to what precautions need to be taken.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
James: Yes, Sumner has a bridle concept on his dinghy that I think runs across the transom and up to bow. If you can get the bridle to tie off low on the bow that will help her keep her bow up as well. Use a raised tarp secured tight around the bow and put weight in the stern. A 5 gallon water container works well. Use floating poly line for painter. Secure a fender to each corner of the transom low in the water and you won't believe the increased stability. With your nautical background I probably didn't help much. Have fun, Chief PS: I was born in Sulphur Rock Arkansas.
Best I remember that is close to batesville ..tuckerman and new port

Mar 20, 2012
I would like to know more about how that bridle was rigged. I had thought the fenders rigged as outriggers would help but had not figured out where to put them or how on this particular boat. Hadn't thought of adding weight, good idea.
thanks James
on our walker bay, I had an old 3/8 halyard i cut up for the bridal (5/16 line would be a better choice)... it is a 20' piece of line that passes thru the bow cleat and then goes back to the center seat/thwart, wraps around it and is tied.... the other end of the line passes thru the bow cleat from the other direction, and goes back to the thwart on the other side, and is connected in the same fashion....

this spreads the load and allows equal pull from the bow eye without any danger of pulling it out.
a rigid hulled dinghy will tow a lot easier than an inflatable, and its also lighter, so the strains are much less on the tow line.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
... that passes thru the bow cleat and then goes back to the center seat/thwart, wraps around it and is tied.... the other end of the line passes thru the bow cleat from the other direction,
did you add the bow cleat? If so some detail if you please.
James

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Chief and Woody, You guys probably know more about AR than I do. I moved up here in the Ozarks by Bull Shoals Res. after I retired and my place in Waveland MS got blown away by Katrina. I spent most of my life on the North Gulf Coast, or on the water. James

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Chief and Woody, You guys probably know more about AR than I do. I moved up here in the Ozarks by Bull Shoals Res. after I retired and my place in Waveland MS got blown away by Katrina. I spent most of my life on the North Gulf Coast, or on the water. James
isn't it funny how the world stays balanced...i am thinking about ocean springs for docking my boat ...are you very knowledgeable on that area