Dingy Davits

Jun 8, 2015
Catalina 30 Ventura
I am in need of some dingy davits for my Hunter44DS but not sure which ones since there seems to be a wide choice. Has anyone installed them on their Hunter 44s and if so, which work the best? I have a 10.8ft dingy and aMerc 9.9 outboard which I would like to leave on the dingy.
Thanks

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Suggest you do a search of the archives using term davits.

There are hundreds of posts on this subject. But be advised there are as many opinions on what is best as there are people posting maybe even more

Seems everyone has good reasons why the ones they own are the best. But that said there are many good posts and lots of helpful pictures.

Apr 20, 2013
Hunter 41DS Newcastle ON
We have the Hunter manufactured davits on our 41DS. They are great because they bolt to the existing arch without drilling into the hull.
Let me know if you'd like to see pictures.

Dave

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Ocean Marine Systems built the davits for Hunter for many years, I don't know if they do anymore. We bought ours from them. He asked about our dinghy size, weight, which side we wanted to carry the motor on etc. and custom made a set that fit like a glove. Very well finished and they fold in when we are hauled to save a few bucks. They also provided an excellent installation manual that detailed how to modify our dinghy for lifting, how it should fit in the davits so could not move at all. If a dinghy moves it can shock load the davits dropping off a big wave. Even just a slight movement on the ocean can easily rub through the fabric on an inflatable in just one cruise.
Bob

(No connection, just a customer)

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Garhauer marine!!
I have found them to be quality products.
Call and discuss your needs. When I compared to others I found that all is included for the base price, others quoted $ for "extras" like 6 six part blocks, additional lift, etc. Garhauer custom makes for you. And they are knowledge/advise re your boat/dinghy combination.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I'm in the process of buying the Forespar Nova Davits for my Catalina 400. Anyone have experience with these?

Jun 22, 2006
Hunter H33 Topeka, KS
just installed Martek on my H33. Very happy with service, price, quality, completeness of installation kit. I felt like a made the right choice.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
just installed Martek on my H33. Very happy with service, price, quality, completeness of installation kit. I felt like a made the right choice.

Do you have any pics. I'd be interested to see them installed on a H33.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have the Hunter davits on my 44DS and we love 'em. High and dry, rugged, and blend into the look of the arch. I have a 10.6 AB with 15 horse Yamaha and it all works well. In fact, I fairlead the leads from the davits to the electric winch and shipping the dinghy is effortless.

Jun 8, 2015
Catalina 30 Ventura
Do you have any pictures of your set up Rick? It's not hard to find davit pics but finding Hunter davits has been dificult.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Do you have any pictures of your set up Rick? It's not hard to find davit pics but finding Hunter davits has been dificult.
Here's a pic. I don't have one with the dinghy shipped. They are very rugged and it is a great advantage that you can board or swim off the stern with the dinghy shipped.

Attachments

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
As previously stated, first decide how high you want your dingy to ride. Then decide which davit will work. Personally I like mine high so I can see under it. Most davits put the dingy low.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Here's a pic. I don't have one with the dinghy shipped. They are very rugged and it is a great advantage that you can board or swim off the stern with the dinghy shipped.
I have the same davits and there are good points and bad points. On our 41 the davits provide a great back rest when I stand on the catbird seats. Make the cockpit very safe as it is surrounded with a SS roll cage.

Down side is with the dingy hanging that high, visibility form the cockpit is reduced. Sailboats are always a compromise.

My next boat with have a dingy garage!!.....I hope.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I like the clean installation. Also looks like the dinghy wouldn't block the view while standing at the helm. Thanks for the pics.