Dinghys

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
We have some cruising friends who built a hard dink because, Cheap. One of those nesting 2 piece jobs from CLC. While in tow their first week out the boat took on water and the load tore it up. Fixed that only to have it happen again causing the tow line to snap. Tried tying it on the foredeck and hated it, sold the hard dink, bought a compact inflatable, went to Panama. YMMV.

Robin3

Dec 29, 2014
beneteau oceanis36cc Daytona Beach
"Row just fine" is very subjective. I've never seen an inflatable you could row to windward for any significant distance in any significant wind. Too much windage. As a practical matter, oars on an inflatable are really a "limp home" backup for a motor that has failed or run out of gas.

Inflatables also have a relatively limited lifespan. My hard dinghy -- with minimal maintenance -- is just as pretty and serviceable now as the day I bought it 32 years ago. Still use the original lovely Shaw & Tenney oars that came with it.

Inflatables are fine if you can tolerate another infernal combustion engine and are willing and capable of mounting and dismounting it, are willing and have space to store its volatile fuel, have a boat big enough to carry it on deck or in davits, have the money to replace it periodically, and don't care about ugly.

MHO.
You might like towing a big old drag maker behind that in a bad following sea will keep trying to jump on board to join you but that is not for me. longer oars worked great for me an I only used the motor for half mile or more trips. I'm 71 now and had a bad stroke 3 years back so now I go for the the rigid bottomed inflatable RIB and yes we carry it in davits usually with it's engine attached and it's fuel tank strapped in on it's floor but the engine is lifted onto the pushpit rail bracket if we expect to meet heavy weather. The boat is a 36 footer, not huge but perfectly adequate. As it is a center cockpit I have a spare 6 gallon gas tank from a retired on the aft deck from which to refuel the outboard or the little Honda gennie. .

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We have some cruising friends who built a hard dink because, Cheap. One of those nesting 2 piece jobs from CLC. While in tow their first week out the boat took on water and the load tore it up. Fixed that only to have it happen again causing the tow line to snap. Tried tying it on the foredeck and hated it, sold the hard dink, bought a compact inflatable, went to Panama. YMMV.
Any dinghy should have a spray cover while in tow in my opinion. Rain and rough seas have a way of filling them with H2O.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE... rowee just fine if they had long enough oars, I had longer ones that took apart in two sections. .../QUOTE]

I believe it was the Pardees who offer that rowboat oars shold be 1.5 times the beam.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I had the Walker Bay 8 for many years. It's great for one person, useable for 2, but quite tippy. I'd guess the 10 would be better for 2-3 people, but 4 would be pushing it. I don't really see the purpose of the inflated collar around the WB's - if you want an inflatable, get an inflatable!
Which brings us to... inflatables. Most folks have inflatables for dinghies, but for some reason almost never deflate them. They're VERY stable, can usually take a pretty big outboard (but are a BEAR to row!), but be very careful hauling them up on a rocky of barnicle-infested beach.
Personally, I don't like inflatables because they have no soul, but that may not matter to you ;)

druid
I use the Walker Bay 8 with the inflatable collar. The collar greatly increases the carrying capacity of the boat, yet it still rows and sails well, unlike a true inflatable. I typically carry 3 adults or 2 adults and a lot of supplies. The collar kit comes with a new placard with the new capacity rating to put over the old placard. I use a Torqeedo outboard that is a dream to run on the WB 8 (no more gasoline on board our C310). In addition, the WB is so light, I carry it on davits on our 31' boat.