Dinghy Tow

Aug 6, 2015
Hunter 31 Havre de Grace
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. I tried searching the forum and found lots of discussion on davit systems, but non for the Dinghy Tow. I like the idea of the davit system, however would like to keep my motor (2.5hp Yamaha) on the dink while it’s up, or underway. I researched one company, and they didn’t recommend it. The company that makes the Dinghy Tow allows it. I found some discussions by others on other forums about the Dinghy Tow, and everyone seems to like it. We have an 84 Hunter 31, and wanted to see if anyone has experience with this particular system. The other thing I like, is that while towing, it doesn’t obstruct your rear view, vs. the typical davit system seems to do?
Regards,
Paul

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
never apologize for asking questions, ignore these wiseguy know it alls that tell you to that was asked many times! someone is always building a new mouse trap and it refreshes topics that other memebers might find useful at the current!

mike

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I prefer to get the wetted surface out of the water when underway. I don't want davits because I'd need to pay moorage for the extra length. Here is a pic of what I did. The hardware is PVC electrical conduit heated and bent and some floating lines. It's really cheap and works well. The downside is the motor needs to come off unless you had one of those swivel mounts.

The lower end is tied to handholds, upper is on cleats.

Ken

Attachments

Aug 6, 2015
Hunter 31 Havre de Grace
I prefer to get the wetted surface out of the water when underway. I don't want davits because I'd need to pay moorage for the extra length. Here is a pic of what I did. The hardware is PVC electrical conduit heated and bent and some floating lines. It's really cheap and works well. The downside is the motor needs to come off unless you had one of those swivel mounts.

The lower end is tied to handholds, upper is on cleats.

Ken
Thanks Ken,
Yeah, I'm trying to leave the motor on if possible. If you look at the dinghy Tow, it can actually flip the dink all the way up to the rear stays for more permanent storage. I like your idea of DIY though... I'll have to give it more thought.
Regards,
Paul