Dinghy Power Advice - Lehr Propane OB?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
image.jpeg
We recently found and purchased a used, well maintained, Quicksilver 270 Dinghy, 900 lb. capacity, with a rigid floor insert and inflation supported v-hull. The admiral made me buy it cause she was troubled getting into our inflatable kayak for shore visits, especially when guests are attending. I am seriously considering acquiring a Lehr propane fueled out board to power. Can anyone tell me if the 2.5 or 5.0 HP model would be sufficient to get the dinghy on plane?

So far the Admiral and Skipper (dog) approve of the acquisition.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Don't they need a propane bottle? Where would you store it? Is there room for the 3 of you and your shore stuff? A previous member in our club had one on his Catalina 16.

Nov 30, 2015
Hey Justin, yep they need only a single Coleman style propane tank which screws into the head of the motor. You can also install a larger cylinder and hose adapter. We already stow multiple canisters on the H30 for the Magma grill. Apparently one canister will propel the boat for 1/2 to 2 hours dependent on throttle. We only make short trips from anchorage to winery and restaurant docks up here. But I do want the dinghy to plane. So pretty much WOT for me. Check out the propane tank in the image below. ECO friendly and four stroke clean. Just need to tote along a few extra canisters each trip.

image.jpeg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I was once very interested in the Lehr also. seemed like a great low maintenance concept….. until I read the many poor reviews. It appeared to me that it was pretty much universally agreed that the unit was VERY poorly built and had constant problems. I owned an outdoor power equipment business for 31 years, before retirement, so I understand the potential benefits of propane power, but this unit doesn't sound like it makes the grade.

Nov 30, 2015
I owned an outdoor power equipment business for 31 years, before retirement, so I understand the potential benefits of propane power, but this unit doesn't sound like it makes the grade.
Yeah, I read all available posts here on SBO, similarly understanding the published motor issues. Most responses outside of the forum indicate problems with the motor when in it's manufactured infancy, however vastly resolved with increased sales and higher production volumes. I'm pretty much sold on this model...I've had tons of OB mechanical issues with gasoline power equipment, leakages, smells and spills, exhaust smoke, pre-mix, etc. We have 400 slips in our Marina and I really want to be a considerate, community minded, Eco-responsible citizen.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No, a 2-5 HP OB will not put that boat on plane (unless you are surfing down the face of a following sea). But that size engine in an entirely appropriate inflatable with a soft keel.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
My Avon 260 Air floor of slightly larger size won't plane on my 5 HP Lehr. I prefer half throttle and I get over an hour out of a canister and go about 4 knots with my wife and I. I had a Yamaha 4 stroke that I got rid of to buy the Lehr after spending hundreds of dollars trying to keep it running with this god awful gas today. Even with sea foam, Stabil, still not reliable. Lehr solved that.

I store 4 cans in a 4 foot PVC tube with an endcap and a cleanout on the other end. Rides low on the stern lazarette top while underway, sits crossways in the dinghy when motor is on. Sealed for secondary safety.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
BMA,

In my experience the 2.5 will not plane and the 5 HP will only if the dog is the only one on board and doing the driving.
You are just asking too much of these two motors with two adults and a dog regardless of boat size.
A larger moter (8HP) may do the trick, but I have no experience with the 8hp on a boat your size, but then whatever you get you end up hanging it off the stern rail, another issue.

Good luck,

Steve

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
No, a 2-5 HP OB will not put that boat on plane (unless you are surfing down the face of a following sea). But that size engine in an entirely appropriate inflatable with a soft keel.
The 5 hp might with only one "person" aboard--maybe Skipper.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I had a similar inflatable, with a 6hp Tohatshu (/Nissan/Merc) 4-stroke gas. It would get up on plane with just me aboard, but wouldn't plane with 2 of us. I doubt even the 5 hp would get you up on step with you, the Admiral and the dog.
Also, I can't really see much difference, environment-wise, between gas and propane. They're both burning dinosaurs. If you want something CLEAN, try electric. But you won't find one that would get you up on step.

druid

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I had a similar inflatable, with a 6hp Tohatshu (/Nissan/Merc) 4-stroke gas. It would get up on plane with just me aboard, but wouldn't plane with 2 of us. I doubt even the 5 hp would get you up on step with you, the Admiral and the dog.
Also, I can't really see much difference, environment-wise, between gas and propane. They're both burning dinosaurs. If you want something CLEAN, try electric. But you won't find one that would get you up on step.

druid
Actually, it's fossilized plant material (coal, oil, and gas) from a period several million years before dinosaurs. Also, 3-5 hours, even 10, per year of running an OB versus daily commutes (?) x 2 (?) in diesel or gas engine trucks or gas engine cars? Is the truck on CNG? Is there a Prius in the garage?

Nov 30, 2015
if you want to be eco friendly then get a rowing dinghy and be done with it
'Tis a rowing dinghy, complete with oars and locks? I guess I'm not that Eco-friendly since shoulder surgery...besides the Admiral might whine if I made her rowing dingy captain. Zoom, Zoom!

image.jpeg

Nov 30, 2015
Ironic isn't it that blow boaters yearn for a planing dink when one that will not, will easily outrun their sailboat.
I thinks it's more typical than ironic, as I prefer to have as much horse power in my dink as possible at this age. The admiral agrees!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It may have oars, but I doubt anyone would call it a "rowing dinghy." Those are more specialized usually made of wood or fiberglass, can be more expensive than an inflatable w/ less capacity. Of course, you can get larger ones.

Nov 30, 2015
It may have oars, but I doubt anyone would call it a "rowing dinghy." Those are more specialized usually made of wood or fiberglass, can be more expensive than an inflatable w/ less capacity. Of course, you can get larger ones.
Awesome!!! But well beyond my pay grade and stow ability.