Dinghy outboard storage

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
Trying to find a way to store 8hp dinghy outboard on 386. There’s no long enough pipe on stern pulpit to put storage motor mount. Tried port lazarette but not quite deep enough. Trying to avoid using Davits. Anyone have any ideas?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Similar issue on my 46 but was able to find a short enough straight section to install an Edson outboard motor mount.

1568727193970.png

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
On my Tartan 30, I stored my 2HP Honda in the V-berth. I added a short piece of 2x6 that let me store the engine vertically. This was on the inboard edge of the V-berth cushion in the area where the cushion folded forward to allow access to a locker. I had to remove a short piece of the existing V-berth trim, but didn't require modifying the cushion. I had a stern rail mount, but wasn't comfortable with it - felt the engine might go 'roaming'.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Anyone have any ideas?
It would help if you would share some close pictures of the stern area of your boat. Looking at some sister boat photos in the gallery, there appears to be some rail space available being used by other appliances, such as a BBQ, MOB, etc. The outboard motor mount takes up very little space.

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
You can always mount it to your Arch on the side. I've had a 9.9 there for years, doesn't get in the way and the weight has been negligible

Oct 4, 2008
Hunter 36 Mulberry Cove Marina
I have the same problem with my H36 and the Edson mount didn't work either. I saw an outboard mounted using the cockpit folding table rail but not sure how secure that would be while underway not to mention it would be a PITA getting from the wheel to the companionway after awhile.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Does anyone else see a problem with storing a gas powered motor inside the boat or a closed compartment that can vent to the inside of the boat? I am assuming you drain the fuel out of the outboard before you store it inside? Just asking ?

Jul 6, 2004
Ericson 32-3 655 Knoxville, TN
Is this too weird? - can the dinghy outboard be mounted standing up at the base of the mast? (would need braces for top and bottom, and some sort of 'boot' for it to rest on) One would also have to design a cover to prevent jib sheets from snagging on it, and to minimize spray soaking the engine. Since lots of people stow their tender on the foredeck, I wondered if this motor location might be good too - it would take weight out of the stern.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
OK, storing gasoline inside? That's where I get absolutely paranoid. Even draining the fuel, I don't what any residual smell inside. For what sailboats cost, why would you want the time spent on it to resemble camping in your garage, next to the weed-wacker?

Back onto the topic of the post, my outboard is very light, but I also had no intersecting stern rail space available for the cheap outboard mounting bracket that I bought. I installed the bracket in the middle of an open stretch of stern rail, then bought a split tee, and elbow (to handle offset/tilt in the rail), and a short piece of stainless tube to prevent the mounting bracket from rotating on the stern rail.

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Does anyone else see a problem with storing a gas powered motor inside the boat or a closed compartment that can vent to the inside of the boat? I am assuming you drain the fuel out of the outboard before you store it inside? Just asking ?
Yep. I even had issues with storing gasoline in a two gallon jug in the cockpit. Finally, I acquired a Torqeedo electric outboard. I can hang it on the old outboard mount in the cockpit, or I can disassemble it and store the parts in the aft cabin. It's a great little motor, and best of all, no more gasoline on my diesel powered boat!

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
Is this too weird? - can the dinghy outboard be mounted standing up at the base of the mast? (would need braces for top and bottom, and some sort of 'boot' for it to rest on) One would also have to design a cover to prevent jib sheets from snagging on it, and to minimize spray soaking the engine. Since lots of people stow their tender on the foredeck, I wondered if this motor location might be good too - it would take weight out of the stern.
Yes...I made a mast tabernacle outboard mount. (Sorry no photo of the outboard attached to it though)
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I store mine in the garage…
Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I keep mine on the rail with an Edson bracket. However it you have davits and don’t want to leave the engine on the stern, why not lay it down and secure it in the dinghy?

greg