Dinghy option...

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Central Florida
We are planning some multi day trips and needed some type of dinghy. In the spirit of "run whatcha brung" we repurposed a 10 year old Sea Eagle inflatable kayak. We went with the Magma Kayak racks. We will see how this works out but the quality of these racks is pretty impressive. Granted for $208 they should be. We will strap the kayak into the back of the pickup on the way to the ramp and put it in place before we leave the dock.

We will deflate the high side chamber so we don't lose visibility off the port side. It should come down to the level of the life line. When we use it we will just pull out the 12v air pump...inflate the one chamber and launch it.

Hoping it won't get in the way of sail trimming but we will see. I can always move it back towards the cockpit. If anyone else is using this set up and could shed light on the sail trim issues please let me know.

IMG-0799 Resize.JPG

IMG-0800 resize.JPG

IMG-0798 resize.JPG

IMG-0797 resize.JPG

IMG-0801 resize.JPG

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Looks like a good set-up, to my eye at least. I'd watch how the kayak handles a strong wind across the beam - just in case. How large of a jib are you using?

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
Looks like a good set-up, to my eye at least. I'd watch how the kayak handles a strong wind across the beam - just in case. How large of a jib are you using?
It's the standard OEM working jib

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If you're getting any hang-ups with the jib sheet - you could probably run a line from the built-in webbing, on the high-side of the kayak, straight to your bow cleat. I'd think any headsail sheet would hopefully ride right over it-

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We have the same exact kayak, so I'll be interested in how it works out. I like your idea of deflating one tube. We've tried a few different ways to transport ours inflated and never found one we liked. We took it to the Dry Tortugas with us, but kept it deflated in the cabin. It made an effective movable ballast, but what a PITA inflating it on board.

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
We have the same exact kayak, so I'll be interested in how it works out. I like your idea of deflating one tube. We've tried a few different ways to transport ours inflated and never found one we liked. We took it to the Dry Tortugas with us, but kept it deflated in the cabin. It made an effective movable ballast, but what a PITA inflating it on board.
That was my thinking. If I had to inflate the whole thing from jumpstart out of the bag I would never do it. It is a PITA....it's a pain in the driveway let alone the cockpit of a 22.

The Magma racks allow me to keep it at the ready at all times. The big question is visibility. Again...if that is a problem, I'll deflate one chamber and see how that goes.

Feb 4, 2006
- - Webster, NY
I have the same kayak. It inflates great with a 12V Airhead inflator ((about $25). Just need a few extra foot pumps to get the sides to the right pressure.