dinghy lites and registration #,s

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Hey all I bought a dink at defender and was wondering about run lts, and reg #,s and how to attach. Red

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
For the numbers I've used individual stick on numbers and paint. I didn't like either. For my new rib I went with boatnumbers.com ( defender sells the unlock code). They look great and it is basically a patch so if applied correctly should out last the boat. They look fantastic.

Les

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've used paint and stencils, it works, but I can't be enthusiastic about it.

There are battery operated lights designed for dinghies, bow light looks like a flashlight with red/green lens. Attaches with a suction cup. Stern light has a pole and a clamp. I have a set, but have never used them so can't comment.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
If you power your dinghy with anything beside arm, leg or air, you must have lights if operated in the dark. That said, I don't think I've ever seen a dink motor past in the dark, lights ablazin'. We usually carry a bright flashlight which my lovely bride uses to light the way. always dead ahead and never in my eyes.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I stencil the numbers on with a broadtip Sharpie and stick the registration on the engine cowl. I've had those flashlight type nav lights and they were a PITA. The red/green was dim and batteries a pain and the whole thing so poorly made as to be useless in short order. I just carry a floating lantern now and turn it on if needed.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Paint and stencils lasted about 9 years of daily use in the tropics for us. Lights on an inflatable are another story. We have yet to figure out a good solution, so we just hold an all-round white light above our head when we dink @ night. Of course, we don't have any sort of on water law enforcement down here (except the USVI) so we aren't worried about that aspect.
There are a number of lights for inflatables available, but attaching them intermittently is a problem and many are really dangerous, as they illuminate the boat in front of the driver (like those mounted on the motor) making it impossible to see ahead. Personally, I value my visibility over being seen.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Navi Safe LED all-around. It attaches to a super strong magnetic mount on the outboard cowl.
http://www.sailsmarine.com/ItemDetail.aspx?c=221060&l=g

Super bright and makes your dink CG compliant. A flashlight in hand, or a LED headlamp for the way ahead.

Boat numbers.com is an elegant solution for your registration. Nicely done. Use the right adhesive.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There are a number of lights for inflatables available, but attaching them intermittently is a problem and many are really dangerous, as they illuminate the boat in front of the driver (like those mounted on the motor) making it impossible to see ahead. Personally, I value my visibility over being seen.
I have an outboard runabout capable of cruising at 45 and it came with an all around white mounted on a pole that put it right at eye level, completely night blinding everyone on the boat. That's standard equipment on lots of go fast boats out there, no wonder they run into stuff at night.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I have an outboard runabout capable of cruising at 45 and it came with an all around white mounted on a pole that put it right at eye level, completely night blinding everyone on the boat. That's standard equipment on lots of go fast boats out there, no wonder they run into stuff at night.
I had an 18' Mako that I commuted to work in, when I lived in Charleston, SC. Returning from work the first night, I had to turn the running lights off, because the all-round white blinded me completely. Fixed it by turning it into a stern light and ran as though I was a sailboat. Never once hit a crab trap or any other sort of obstruction on the water in 3 years of nightly operation. Water Leo's didn't like it at all, no matter the practicality of it, so I didn't dinghy to work on the 4th of July or other times like that. One actually said to me that he pulled me over on the 1st 4th of July because he couldn't see me without the white all-round! Hum......

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
There has been many posts here that under 7 mph only an all round light is required. How after dark dink use do you plan on?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
They sell red and green light sticks. The ones you break and shake up at Wal-Mart. And a wide perminant marker for the reg #'s

Jan 11, 2014
There has been many posts here that under 7 mph only an all round light is required. How after dark dink use do you plan on?
Is this an urban legend? I've never heard of a speed being a factor in lighting requirements, it is always LOA and sail vs power vs oars.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Nope, it's in the COLREGS and revised Inland Rules. Vessels under 7 meters in length and capable of no more than 7 knots only need an all around white light. Doesn't say it has to be mounted, but the illustration shows it mounted. Mines handheld. Bigger or faster need the red and green side lights.

Jan 11, 2014
Nope, it's in the COLREGS and revised Inland Rules. Vessels under 7 meters in length and capable of no more than 7 knots only need an all around white light. Doesn't say it has to be mounted, but the illustration shows it mounted. Mines handheld. Bigger or faster need the red and green side lights.
Now Jackdaw has accused me of having "guy eyes" meaning I can't see something right in front of me. With that said I could not find a reference to 7 mph. Rule 25 (d)(i) does say that a sailboat under 7 meters in length only needs a white light or a torch to light the sails. This is also not appear to be specific to the inland waterways.

(d) (i) A sailing vessel of less than 7 meter in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a) or (b), but if she does not, she shall [exhibit an all around white light or] have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
Navigation Rules - Amalgamated

If anyone knows of the specific reference, I'd appreciate a link to it.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Rule 23 d II page 42 of the US Inland / International Rules book, and Rule 1 b II page 3.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I also picked up a new dink at the Defender sale and based on recommendations here and the good folks at Defender, went with the Boatnumbers.com option. Will be installing (hopefully) in the next month. As mentioned, the glue is important. The Defender guys talked me out of the one part so I went with the much more expensive 2 part PVC compatible glue, as I want to get it right the first time.
I passed on the dinghy specific light options and will go with a flashlight and head lamp if we venture out after dark....

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The key to the 7 knot deal is "capable" not what your actual speed is

Jan 11, 2014
Rule 23 d II page 42 of the US Inland / International Rules book, and Rule 1 b II page 3.
Thank you, the nav rules you cited are not precisely the same as the nav rules on the USCG page I referenced.
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

Upon closer examination, it seems that the rules you cited are incorporated by reference in this reference: Navigation Rules - Amalgamated

I suppose it is easier to just incorporate rules by reference than re-writing the US rules every time the international rules change. A link to the international rules would have been helpful. And it might well be there, but I didn't see it.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
I purchased the battery bow(red green) and white stern light for my WM 310, double fiberglass bottom dink w/9.9 HP Yamaha.

They have a suction mount that separates from the lights which I keep in plastic bag in RIB storage compartment. I used a PVC glue to attach the suction mounts to the rib, so the mounts are permanent. Its the same glue you would patch the hull with. I use rechargeable bats and have a universal bat charger on board.

I'm going with vinyl lettering for DINKs name and FL license. But as soon as they come off after reading post, it will be on to the Number and Name plates...

Regards,

Viper..

Last edited: