Dinghy Davits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjholt

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 356 Orange Park, Florida
Looking for some advise on buying dinghy davits for my Hunter 356.
We are looking to lift at least a 10' RIB with a 15 hp.
Does anyone have recommendations?

thx, Sea Nut (capt. john)

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Consider Garhauer Marine. sales@garhauermarine.com. Contact Mark at 909-985-9983. I just purchased one for my Hunter 386. It includes 304 SS tube, height 33" arm length 36" sold in pairs. Each arm comes complete with 6-1 purchase, 60 ft of line and cleat for fastening line. $1,075.00 Order Details Order Number: 10148.,

May 31, 2004
Hunter 36 La Paz, BCS, Mexico
Capt. John:

I have a 2004 Hunter 36 that I have installed the Ocean Marine davits on. On the davits is a Walker Bay 10 with a Mercury 3.5hp outboard. So far in the four years that they have been in use we have sailed the California coast and Sea of Cortez without a problem. Even getting caught in a storm with 45kts winds, 22' seas the davits did great. See the boat info for Jim Seaman's installation as mine is the same.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Not sure where to buy, but something to watch out for...

Distant Uncle has a 41' Columbia in Puerto Rico, few years back he bought a set of davits, they may have been custom made at local shop, im not sure. He has 9'rib and a 15hp yahama 2 stroke.

Around 10:30pm on our first night out of a 2 week trip we get caught in a little Squal, blowing about 35kts. Waves pick up, and the stern davit breaks. The hole where the shackle for the block attached was drilled too close to the edge of the metal, and it ripped through.

Long story short, to prevent the dinghy engine from damaging the rudder (it was banging into it pretty hard with every wave, and was hard to hold it straight), and leaving us really screwed (the alternator had died earlier that evening too), i basically had to jump overboard to release the lines from the dinghy hard points and extract the dinghy from the rudder. This was at night, in a storm, with driving rain, while going through a cut in a reef a couple miles offshore....

Make sure whatever davit you get wont break like this!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 45CC Lancaster VA
RE: Dingy Davits

Looking for some advise on buying dinghy davits for my Hunter 356.
We are looking to lift at least a 10' RIB with a 15 hp.
Does anyone have recommendations?

thx, Sea Nut (capt. john)
I have Kato Marine davits on my Hunter 45cc with a 10' Avon and 6hp outboard. They are very well made and are located in Annapolis, MD. Check out the link with the davits installed on a Hunter 356. http://www.katomarine.com/image.php?type=sail&img=Hunter356

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
I have Garhauer on my H376. Great product, expert service. FWIW, I wouldnt leave my 15hp O/B on my dink while hoisted up onto my davit while sailing, unless it was really calm. That would be a lot of weight swinging around.
Good Luck.
Bob

Alan K

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter 380 Norwalk, CT
I'm very happy with the Ocean Marine davits on my 380. Excellent factory support! :dance:

Sep 15, 2006
Hunter 44 Shore Point Marina, Pine Beach NJ
I also have Kato on my 44AC, 11 ft RIB with 9hp four cycle and do not remove the engine.
have had them for four years, very well made.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
I have been researching dinghy davits for the past 3 weeks. An important consideration is how to prevent the dinghy from moving and bouncing around when it is secured to the davits while under way. This concern outweighs that of whether or not to carry the motor on the dinghy's transom and appears to be a major issue of sailors who have installed a davit system - and rightly so. To that end, check out the Kato stainless steel ratcheting system offered as an option which appears usable on any davit system. The other consideration is to get the dingy up as close to the lifting blocks as possible. This requires short lifting bridles.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I have been researching dinghy davits for the past 3 weeks. An important consideration is how to prevent the dinghy from moving and bouncing around when it is secured to the davits while under way.
I will 2nd that. Too much bounce and swing (combined with the improper hole position) was almostthe cause of the failure I described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.