Dinghy Davits for Hunter 426/44 aft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
Dinghy Davits - a very confusing topic, especially for the Hunter 426/44 aft transom configuration. Need input from 426/44 aft owners. I do not like the Hunter Davits which are mounted off the arch. The dinghy is a RIB at about 150 lbs. Have looked at MarTek, Garhauer, St. Croix, Kato. It would be very helpful to hear from those who have been through this. Would love pictures if possible.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Why don't you like the Hunter davits? I have had great service from mine going into the 4th year now. I have an AB 10.6 RIB with 15 hp Yanmar. The only issue I have had and resolved was constraining the dinghy while heeling or in a following sea.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Great

I saw a few of the Hunter davits on Hunters when my boat was at the dealer and really loved them but my 36 is too small for them and not really ready for davits

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
Hi Rick 486. Interestingly, my first reaction was to go with the Hunter davits. It is a unique system which does not interfere with the transom access. However, there are some issues with their system, at least for me.
1. There is an awful lot of steel and weight hanging off that arch. It's as if there were a 2nd arch.
2. Aesthetically, to my eye, it is overwhelming.
3. My dinghy weighs 150 lbs and there will be times when I would choose to haul the dinghy up with the 9.9 motor still attached to the transom. Hunter provides ONLY a 3:1 block and tackle - there is no upgrade available, which means I have to modify the mounting and purchase the necessary hardware and line. They also do not give a credit for not using their block and tackle system.
4. Although the cost is initially acceptable, Hunter requires an additional non-refundable $500.00 (plus postage) for the construction of a plywood shipping box! This box, along with the upgraded blocks and tackle, bring that cost to an unacceptable figure.

I have researched 2 or 3 companies that offer transom mounted systems which are comparable in cost, are lighter, accept more weight, use far less steel, provide a 6:1 purchase system, pivot in when not in use, are easily removable for storage, and do not inhibit access to the transom and lockers. The system I am considering, although I have yet to make a decision, is the one offered by Kato out of Annapolis. I am hoping that another owner will respond to my request for information and possibly pictures.

Sep 15, 2006
Hunter 44 Shore Point Marina, Pine Beach NJ
Kato

have Kato davits, 11' Rib with four cycle outboard mounted, never take engine off, have the winch at the engine end to make it easier to retrive. Good quality very nice people to deal with, have had no issues to date, four years.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
Re: Kato

Thanks for the reply Kurt: You are correct, Kato is very nice to deal with. The product seems to be of excellent quality and workmanship. Any chance of getting some pictures detailing the installation? BTW; My boat is in Forked River for the winter lay-up. We put in there when moving the boat from RI to the Chesapeake.
Pat

Sep 15, 2006
Hunter 44 Shore Point Marina, Pine Beach NJ
you can stop by

Thanks for the reply Kurt: You are correct, Kato is very nice to deal with. The product seems to be of excellent quality and workmanship. Any chance of getting some pictures detailing the installation? BTW; My boat is in Forked River for the winter lay-up. We put in there when moving the boat from RI to the Chesapeake.
Pat
Pat, will try and take pictures, if you are in the Forked river area, we are just a little north of you, just come by it is the only 44 hunter in the water, we live on it year around, will be heading south for next winter.

May 8, 2004
Hunter 44DS Sea Cliff YC, NY
Got a quote for davits on my 2007 H44DS from my yard (Brewer in Glen Cove, NY). They suggest Ocean Marine Systems HSD-40. Including options about $2500 plus installation. Seems expensive, but Brewer recommendations are usually good. Anyone with experience with these?

Jun 16, 2004
Hunter 40.5 751 New Bern NC
hunter t top.jpgAtlantic towers Bayville N.J. made this arch and hard top for me. And at a fair price too.I need new canvas a davit ,radar and wind gen mount also a place for my 3- 85 watt solar panels all in one nice package.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
Thanks John6212; I have a series of Hunter 426 photos from Kato, including the one you sent. I think that I will be going with the Kato Davits. With the options I want (davit bottom extensions, angled base mount, removable stabalizer bar, 6:1 purchase option, SS ratcheting tie downs, etc) the cost would be about $2700.00. Not bad. I could certainly do better with other systems but give up the features that matter to me. I would do the install myself.

BrianH

Feb 14, 2005
Hunter 44 LaSalle, MI
Maybe it's just me but that seems like a lot of stress on the stern rail with the Kato davits.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
If you study the way that Hunter mounts the stern rail it shouldn't be an issue. Each rail half is vertically braced to the transom in 2 places. In addition the the two horizontal rails are fastened to the stainless steel arch. 426 and 44 owners who have installed this system apparently have not had a problem as far as I know. Kato advises that additional bracing on the 426/44 is unnecessary.

Dec 5, 2003
Hunter 420 Waukegan, IL
I have a 2004 Passage 420. At that Hunter was getting their davits from Ocean Marine. I purchased direct fm Ocean. I think it was under $1,000 with low shipping. Came via UPS.

The tricky part was the transom mounting bracket. It required compound angles. Ocean had the specs and the part fit right in place. The backing plate fit right in place as well.

It took me and a six pack to do a complete install on one Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.