Digital Radar Opinions

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I am currently shopping for a new digital radar for my Catalina 380. I have decided to place it on a pole on my starboard aft corner. We use the boat primarly in coastal waters and plan on trips to the Baja peninsula in the future.
My query is this:
Which radar/chartplotter would you recommend based on the following criteria:
Ease of installation (I will be doing the install myself and am more than qualified)
Ease of operation ( will my somewhat tech savvy wife be able to figure out the plotter)
Cost (always a factor)
Factory support
Display characteristics such as clarity, (pixels), brightness and color usage.
I like the claims that one can use the digital return to pick out buoy's as you go thru the harbor in fog. I'm not so concerned with the range of the radar since I am sailing and even a 20 mile range is plenty at 6 knots. I'm more concerned with the close up usage to pick my way thru a crowded anchorage or harbor, narrow passage etc.

I will be most graciously thankful for any input.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
what you are describing is "broadband radar" this is a low power technique that has good resolution close in. It is digital but digital techniques can also be applied to more conventional radar. Broadband uses very little power and has low radiation hazard and good ability to see targets close in.

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
I looked into the same, and found that garmin fit the bill as I had only problems with Raymarine stuff/

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Up until recently Navico (Simrad, B&G & Lowrance ) had the most advanced small radars but that changed with Furuno's new Doplar NXT system. Unfortunately I am not a fan of the Furuno MFD so I will wait until Garmin launches their own small dome Dopler version. Garmin already has Dopler open arrays but Furuno has the smaller domes.

All small radars are leaps and bounds better than 20 years ago but the ability to highlight a moving target automatically, and highlight it with a different target color, is something most who regularly navigate in fog have only ever dreamed about.. The minute the small Garmin Dopler hits the market its on our boat...

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We have a two-year-old Lowrance 9" plotter and integrated hi def radar. Have used it for an off shore trip up the WA coast and back home. Nights in big seas and heavy air - it worked very very well. We have a stern pole mount. One thing to keep in mind is that many current models from the major vendors are not really meant for a sailboat market where these displays are mounted adjacent to the ship's compass on a ss guard.
(The culprit is the highly magnetic chip door on many makes and models. Our model uses a friction catch for that little door.)
Anyhow, this technology is pretty amazing compared to even to the high quality Furuno radar we used to have.
Regards,
Loren

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The most recent edition of SAIL has a review of digital radar units. I read it this morning.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Thanks rgranger...I'll stop by the bookstore tomorrow and pick up a copy.