Digby to Yarmouth and - Pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
There is a public Facebook album of pictures here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1694857911729.70316.1846284215&l=ee64d3a689&type=1

Shortly after posting my last, I was sitting in the cockpit noticing how close my dinghy was to a navigation buoy. Oh well, I thought, I have a good set and it will make a great anchor alarm. I then noticed a fleet of sailboats heading for the buoy and realized that it was being used as a racing mark. I quickly had to haul the anchor in short and pull the dinghy up so they could round.

The next day, I sailed down the eastern shore of the bay until the wind died and then began a long motor leg to Meteghan. This took me through the fast tides of the Petite Passage between the Bay of Fundy and Saint Mary’s Bay where the GPS was reading over 10 knots SOG and I narrowly missed being sucked into a tide rip that probably would have claimed my dinghy.

In Meteghan, I made the first of several planned visits planned for this cruise, meeting a naval architect with whom I have corresponded for years on boating forums but never met. We had dinner, he ran me around for errands, and we had a grand time telling war stories.

Southwest winds were forecast for the area off Yarmouth which makes for pretty nasty conditions against the strong Fundy tides so I went to bed planning an early start even though it would mean bucking the tide most of the way. I woke up at 0300 fretting about it and figured, Why not? so I was underway within the hour. The sun came up after a long time over flat calm seas as I get a little boost from the tail end of the ebb.

The day looked very promising for about half an hour and I ran right into a bank of the kind of fog you can tear chunks off of and take home in your pocket to show people how thick it is up hear. Getting in to Yarmouth was an adventure despite radar and GPS.

I picked up a mooring on the Yarmouth waterfront just about a half hour before a brisk southwest wind came up and took myself out to lunch to congratulate myself for my excellent planning.

After returning from lunch, I discovered that Yarmouth has free WiFi on its waterfront so I have been having a computer orgy aided by torrential downpours this morning and treat of thunderstorms this afternoon. After dinner ashore. I’ll decide what to do tomorrow. Some very nasty stretches lie ahead, some of the most intimidating passages in this part of the world, and the tide and weather have to be just right to get around the corner into the mild tides (about 4 feet) and frequent shelter of the southern Nova Scotia coastline.

Sep 23, 2009
Catalina 42 Mk II Fremantle, West Australia
Roger.
Does maine dot rr dot com still get to you?
regards
Terry Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.