Difficult pulling in furling foresail.

Aug 25, 2013
Hunter Legend 37.5 Page Point Marina, Ladysmith,BC
I have a 1991 37.5 Hunter, with a below-the-deck Hood furling system for my foresail. The sail pulls out easy, but is very difficult pulling it back in without having to go up on deck and winding it manually. I have tried changing the angle of the line going to the drum, which has helped but not solved the problem. Any other suggestions?

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
I have a 1991 37.5 Hunter, with a below-the-deck Hood furling system for my foresail. The sail pulls out easy, but is very difficult pulling it back in without having to go up on deck and winding it manually. I have tried changing the angle of the line going to the drum, which has helped but not solved the problem. Any other suggestions?
A friend has a 33.5 with the same issue. He has found that if the halyard is heavily tensioned it is extremely difficult to furl the headsail. Releasing that tension a bit has helped when he furls it in. He suspects the foil may be bowing and binding under the halyard tension.

Steve

Aug 25, 2013
A friend has a 33.5 with the same issue. He has found that if the halyard is heavily tensioned it is extremely difficult to furl the headsail. Releasing that tension a bit has helped when he furls it in. He suspects the foil may be bowing and binding under the halyard tension.

Steve
Thanks Steve, sounds like a good idea, will try that.

DougMc

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36 Erieau Ontario
Had same issue on a H36. Finally after trying every thing I sprayed the reeling line with McLube works like a charm. I believe friction between lines was resisting the furl action.

Feb 22, 2011
Hunter Legend 37 Muskegon, MI
Had a similar problem with the Hood system on our Legend 37. Tried furling one day and the drum pulled apart (possibly too much halyard tension) and half the little balls that were bearings headed into the lake. I was able to find some at Torresen Marina near us and I rebuilt it and retried it. After having it happen two more times after that I installed a Harken MK IV on our boat and everything works smoothly. With a unit that is almost 30 years old, I am sure metal fatigue played a big part in its failure.

Aug 25, 2013
Had a similar problem with the Hood system on our Legend 37. Tried furling one day and the drum pulled apart (possibly too much halyard tension) and half the little balls that were bearings headed into the lake. I was able to find some at Torresen Marina near us and I rebuilt it and retried it. After having it happen two more times after that I installed a Harken MK IV on our boat and everything works smoothly. With a unit that is almost 30 years old, I am sure metal fatigue played a big part in its failure.
Thanks. If nothing else works , may have to resort to your option for sure.

Aug 25, 2013
Had same issue on a H36. Finally after trying every thing I sprayed the reeling line with McLube works like a charm. I believe friction between lines was resisting the furl action.
Thanks, can't hurt trying this.

Aug 25, 2013
Had the same issue and use it was too taught halyard.
Thanks, good to know. Will try playing with the halyard tension. I know that if my spin halyard is too loose, it tangles around the upper foresail, so I watch out for that too.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 35.5 Montréal PQ
Hello, The original system is a Hood 810 LD (for line drive) Before looking anywhere else, I would go up the mast and check if the Top Bearing at the extreme top of the extrusion is broken. Actually they call this a bearing but in fact it is only 2, 1/2 round plastic parts that keep the metal stay centered in the aluminium extrusion, no moving part. The part is worth 26$ (Pompanette.com) and is often the source of blocking problems on this unit. I own a 35.5 and had the problem as 2 other 35.5 in my area.This part can be change in 10 minutes with the extrusion/stay assembly in place. The symptoms you describe are exactly what is happening when 1/2 of the top bearing is gone.I would also investigate in the anchor well to make sure that the 2 parts of the drum assembly are not too close together. There should be 1/16" between the 2 parts. This can be adjusted by lowering the bottom portion of the drum using the Allen screw under the furling unit.It sure is worth the trip up the mast. Good luck. PS parts are eaealy available at pompanette.com

One other advise, I always unload the pressure in the sail by sailing downwind with the wind coming from + - 130 to 140 deg. when rolling the genoa. The genoa is protected by the main sail and It is very easy to furl this way. It is worth a try.