Different types of rope

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Nylon three strand rope gets stiff with age and use. The brown line is an anchor rode that spent some time on the bottom and was put away wet multiple times. The shorter lighter colored line is probably a dock line, again age and use will make them stiff.

The double braid is probably polyester, probably not a stiff as the nylon.

Sailboats collect line, I'm not sure how it happens, perhaps long periods with lack of supervision leads to procreation. :biggrin:

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I think I'm seeing a pattern here. Is shampoo rinse the same as fabric softener?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I wash my lines every few seasons or so. It really make a big difference in how they look and feel. I put mine in a mesh laundry bag similar to this one...

1590614431132.png

Then toss the entire thing in the wash. The bag keeps the lines from getting all tangled up. Make sure you turn off the spin cycle! After the wash, just lay your lines out in the sun to dry. You will love the difference. I use a bottle of Woolite.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I used a half bottle of Downey (cheapest) for a 50‘ three strand in a garbage can with about 2’ of water. Used a garden rake for an agitator every once in awhile and then let soak over night. Worked very well. Sweetest smelling lines on the dock!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The Whole Bottle???? :biggrin:
Well ... yeah... I was also washing a sail in a new trash can on the same day so by the end of the day... I had used a bottle. :thumbup:

The sail looked better but it still had some rust stains that did not come out.