Diesel Shutoff Pull out Knob

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hp

The diesel shutoff pull out knob on the 1988 H28.5 that I recently purchased is very hard to pull out. Does anyone have a fix for that problem?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Well, this is what I did

I replaced the fuel shutoff that was on the panel in the cockpit. I moved it to the engine compartment down below. This does two things. First, it provides a minor sense of security. When we are in port in an area that we are not sure about we leave the fuel kill pulled out so the engine cannot be started. Second the cable is now only about two feet long and do not expect a problem with it again. If we do it is much easier to replace. 10 years and it have been great.

T

Tom Lukas

Diesel Shutoff

Had the same problem also two different times with two different repairs. You need to first isolate if the problem exists in the cable or at the the engine. Locate the cable end where its attached to the engine (lever on starboard side of engine) remove the end stop on the cable, then slide out the cable. Try to pull the shut off again, if its still stuck the cable needs replacement or repair. If the cable moves freely, go back to the engine and try and move the lever the cable was attached to, most likely it'll be hard to move. If its the lever thats binding, I freed mine by squirting in lubricant where it enters the engine. If the problem is the cable sticking, you can try freeing it up with various lubricants, I used marvel oil and them lubed it with a cable anti-seeze. If the cable and lever both move freely, I'm not sure what else to do.

S

Stephen Ostrander

Yanmar cable

I had the same problem on my boat. Go to www.torresen.com and there is a tech bulletin posted on this subject.

J

Jay Hill

It's Probably Bent

...or not. If the cutoff valve handle is left in the out position and "somebody" accidentally bumps it, steps on it, or otherwise comes within a few feet of it without saying a prayer or a praise, the handle gets bent a little. Try turning the knob for one full rotation to see if you can see a bend. If it's NOT bent, the previous posts tell all. If it IS bent, well, be careful to bend it back straight at the exact point of the bend or it will break off and you will have to replace anyway.

J

John Sheppard

Fuel Shut off Valve

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions..This is really a good site and the response from fellow sailers is great!

K

KTsoulos

new 28.5 hunter owner

Just recenly purchased 28.5 hunter 1987 model in Miami. I am shipping it to New York. I would like to know more about this particular sailboat. Iwould appreciate any responses.

E

Eric

New 28.5 Owner

Congratulations! Seems to be one of the Hunters with the fewest problems. Best advice is to tighten all of the toe rail bolts after transporting. If it has a 4:1 purchase on the mainsail , consider a 5:1 or 6:1. Will make life easier. Extra halyards and topping lift installed if mast is down. Other than that, just do the normal maintenance as you would on any other boat. Use the archives using 28.5 as one of the key words. No real pattern of problems. Good sailing.

W

Warren Renninger

Replace cable

I replaced my cable after corrosion made it too much trouble to fix. Got a fairly good match for it at Napa auto. You can pull the wire cable out, clean it and relub it. If you replace it, you may want to lub it good before putting it in. As my marine surveyor said, "They only last a few years unless you lub them every year. The idea of a short cable in the cabin will be my next replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.