Diesel level in tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rafi

Any trick on a quick way to check the remaining diesel fuel level in the tank on 1985 H31 with no fuel gauge?

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Dipstick

In the old days we used a long wooden dowel (if one had straight access from the filler cap to the bottom of the tank). We started with a full tank, or at least a known quantity of fuel, and marked our stick accordingly.

B

BILL SHAKUN

diesel fuel level

I bought a sending unit from Boat US installed it. Gage is installed on the B- Control panel works great. Simple to install took about 1 hour. Moving my 31'85 to Marina this fall. Another way is to shine light on the fuel tank and look for the fuel. It is a pain to climb down to direct view. I tried a stick but the bend and the movement of the fuel was too much.

P

Paul Akers

Clock it

I have a small guage on my tank that isn't very accurate. So I keep a log of my running time. Over a couple of fillups I've determined that I burn .5 gals per hour at all speeds. My log serves as a faily accurate backup to determine when I get to half tank and time to fill up. I also have a poly tank. A flashlight will reflect the fuel level in the tank when placed against the tank. Between the three methods, I'm usually right on about how much fuel I will need.

L

Larry Stewart

Flashlight does the trick!

I had the same problem last Spring when we purchased our 1987 Hunter 31 and I posed the same question out here on the board. The responses was use a flashlight and needless to say it works...but it has to be dark and you don't mind crawling down into the hole. I use one of those mini-mag lites...works great!!! Best to you. ...Larry... "Sandy Sea"

T

Tom Long

Agree with Paul

We also log our engine time not only for totalizing running hours, but to keep track of fuel consumption. As Paul stated, it averages about 0.5 gal per hour for the Yanmar 2GMF.

D

Dan Hutchinson

Keep it full

I was told when I bought my boat to keep the tank full both to prevent condensation and to ensure that the fuel pickup tube doesn't ever get exposed to air when the boat is heeling. If you know the tank is full or close to full you don't have to worry about the exact level. However, I have also used the flashlight trick successfully. I carry extra diesel to top the tank off when crusing.

C

Colin Campbell

Capacitive proxes?

"Capacitive Proximity Switches" are designed to attach to the outside of tanks and detect if fluid is present inside! I am pretty sure there are models that work on 12 VDC to control a small indicator light. I have not tried one as yet but will soon as installation is a matter of just sealing the end of the switch against outer surface of tank (no hole drilling). If anyone wants to experiment, these switches can be purchsed from most industrial electrical outlets, elctronics suply outlets and automation companies. As an after thought, they could also be used to control an LED in series with a resistor which would use less power.

Status
Not open for further replies.