Diesel Heater

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Planning to install a diesel heater(Espar maybe) on my 2005 Hunter 46 in the aft starboard lazarette with ducting to the cabins. Has anyone done this, particularly on a Hunter 46 and can provide any heater size and installation guidance? Much appreciated.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
We have a Webasto heater that was installed when we bought our boat. We absolutely love it! However, the greatest benefits are closest to the heater. It's installed up against the transom in our aft berth. The after berth is great, the head and main salon (about equal distances forward) are much more comfortable when it's cool outside, the v-berth all the way up front is still quite cool. We're a little constricted by our battery capacity, so we don't run the blower at full power, and maybe that would make a difference (move more air, and close off the vents closest to the heater). But, I also wonder if installing the heater farther forward would have helped up in the v-berth. At the very least, do everything you can to minimize or completely eliminate the size and the number of bends in the air duct that carries the heat forward.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
A question for those that have ducted heaters in their boats. I've only ever had a heater that radiated the heat out from where it was on a boat but have done quite a bit of work in forced air heating.

Do these ducted boat heaters have both hot air delivery and cold air returns as part of the duct work?

In heating other structures with ductwork hot air systems, most often the single most important part of getting uniform heat is a well designed cold air return... Lots of good thermodynamic reasons for this...

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Wrote an article here a few years ago about the install of a Wallas 40D on our boat, which is pretty close to your boat in size. Did this in 2006 to extend our cruising season to year around. Very pleased with its performance; thrifty in power and fuel consumption and quiet, too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I inherited an uninstalled Wallas 40DT forced air heater in my boat purchase. Planning the duct routes, cold air return and heater location are important as @dLj points out. I have found that in the depth of winter the ducts need to be insulated for the heat at the registers to impact the temp loss in the boat areas serviced.

If you want to manage humidity in the boat you need to draw in some outside air with your cold air return. In my boat the fan and air noise happens at the cold air return.

The Wallas provides a pleasant heated environment even when the exterior of the boat temps in the teens.

@LeslieTroyer installed an Espar Like heater in his Catalina 36 last December. We turned in on 4th of February and it ran non stop until we returned to port on the 18, keeping the boat very comfortable thru what was said to be the worst Canadian winter weather in 60 years.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Even mixing outside air with cabin (I can adjust %) humidity. We opened the sea hood and defrosted the dodger windows.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Like Terry Cox and jssailem said above, the Wallas is a very nice forced air heater. We have one on our H35 and the things I like are (1) the thermostat keeps the temperature at an even heat, no cycling off and on so it doesn't get hot then cold, (2) it is quiet. Part of this is installation but the other part is that it's designed to be quiet; and (3) the exit exhaust temperature is so cool one can probably put their hand over it (haven't tested it but I wouldn't doubt it.). The cooler temperature exhaust is likely due to efficiency, and last but not least, (4) the forced air helps to keep the boat humidity lower which, in Puget Sound, is good.
For the "Not all that glitters is gold" department, running ductwork is not an easy task as one doesn't want to compromise structural integrity. The even temperature is really worth it.
Our previous heater had a hot exhaust temperature and if a dock line was in the way it would melt it.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
There is a wealth of information regarding diesel heaters on this and other sailboat forums. Here is one fairly recent SBO thread discussing hydronic furnaces,

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
whatever diesel heater you get, be sure to run it 2x a month to keep it running well. leaving it off for 6 months creates problems w/ erratic starting.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
whatever diesel heater you get, be sure to run it 2x a month to keep it running well. leaving it off for 6 months creates problems w/ erratic starting.
Hi Mitch, not one of the requirements here, according to the Wallas distributor. The only advice they gave was to turn the furnace up to max heat for five minutes before shutting down in order to burn off any carbon deposits.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
This might help. I'm in Florida some I have no need for a heater but I've been following these guys and they talk about their heater.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Planning to install a diesel heater(Espar maybe) on my 2005 Hunter 46 in the aft starboard lazarette with ducting to the cabins. Has anyone done this, particularly on a Hunter 46 and can provide any heater size and installation guidance? Much appreciated.
I have a webasto hydronic system in my 466. The webasto itself is located in the aft port lazarette. I have hydronic units in the aft port cabin and under the port settee. Individual controls for each cabin and main salon (fan speed only). The master thermostat is next to the breaker panel. It supplies wonderful heat. The electric fuel pump bothers folks sleeping in the aft cabins as it cycles to supply fuel. 16 years and works great.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
With a Hunter 46 I'd consider this. Hurricane Zephyr – Itrheat

You get both diesel and a 1500 watt electric element allowing you to heat the boat on the same system with shore power when at the dock, as well as self sufficient diesel on the hook. That said we've had no problems with our Espar unit and am very glad we installed it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Espar are very efficient units from what I have seen. My only issue is the Espar sometimes sounds like the Royal Canadian Air Force's Snowbirds are taking off in the marina.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The Espar are very efficient units from what I have seen. My only issue is the Espar sometimes sounds like the Royal Canadian Air Force's Snowbirds are taking off in the marina.
I agree, there is no mistaking that the furnace is an Espar during the initial startup phase.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
John, I take that personally. I bought a muffler because of your complaints so when are you going to come up to Oak Harbor and help me install it??? ;) I have found that once the D5E comes up to temperature it gets much quieter even without the muffler but you are correct, about the Snowbirds on startup.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Have any of you watch the You Tube video from "Just About Sailing"?
The current topic is the third part of a DETAILED three part discussion and video about a Chinese diesel heater install, operation and performance (with graphs). The vlogger is a Brit and is very thorough!.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Snowbrids use the Canadair CT-114 Tutor we have them here for 2 weeks each year. My espar sounds more like the F-86 or F-16 on clime out then at idle more like the Tutor.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA