Diesel heater ducting in a 310

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
I've ordered a chinese diesel heater for our 2004 310. I need some help on ducting it. What have you done with yours? All tips appreciated!

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
Adding heat will make your sailing and voyaging far more enjoyable. My boat has a Wallace with the heat vents in two areas: the first in the under cockpit aft berth, the second, on the port side bulkhead between the salon and head with air into the salon. The clever feature of that outlet is how it is routed to get there. A four inch diameter copper tube goes across the head, from the aft bulkhead to the forward bulkhead (just inboard of the medicine cabinet) that serves as the heat duct. This adds dry warm heat to the head area and makes a place to hang wet clothing or towels that will dry quickly.

The salon heat vent works well to keep the entire area warm, including the fore berth when the sliding panel is open.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Thanks for the reply. I have identified the area under the quarter berth for one outlet. I can get a 4” duct to just near the small hatch to the engine cut off. I am very curious as to what the copper pipe looks like running across the head to the main salon. Access for Ducting along the port side of the aft berth is great but I’ve yet to figure out how to traverse the head area with a duct.
I reconfigured my medicine cabinet to get more space inside by making the face vertical. As I write this I’m thinking that I could move it inboard at lease two inches and notch the back corners enough to get a 3” duct across to the salon. Would like a picture of your set up in the head if ones handy. Thanks

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
Hello. Hopefully this helps. Both ends of the copper pipe are identically trimmed inside the head.

Also, our boat has heater air intake ducts from the bilge just aft of the transmission and another in the bilge under the port area under cockpit berth. These help with air circulation and lessen the boat musty smell.

Finally, our heater is mounted on the port side of the stern area, with access through the cockpit hatch and bulkhead door in the aft berth. It makes a good space except it severely limits access to the fuel tank. If you need to inspect the tank or do any repair the heater and ducts must be removed. If you install in that area, I suggest inspecting your fuel tank and replacing hoses and gaskets before you install the heater. You will be happy you did that in a few years.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Both ends of the copper pipe are identically trimmed inside the head.
That's a great idea, as long as it doesn't get too hot.
On our C34s we have the same issue of getting a duct from the port locker thru the head to the salon. Many skippers have torn their hair out trying to find a way to do it. One "smarter" skipper simply ran the duct under the head's medicine cabinet! Unless you're on your knees in that "room" you never see it and it's much easier to install, too. Just another option.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
I’m thinking I’m going to give the ductwork priority over cabinets. I have already re built the head medicine cabinet and I’ll take it out to run a duct. I’m also going to take out the cabinet in the salon. Catalina made me matching teal cabinet doors like the ones in the galley. I’m going to add galley like cabinets above both settees that are stop below the hull port lights. Can store more stuff, out of sight and put book shelves on top.
I will check clearances under the medicine cabinet. Good idea.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hello. Hopefully this helps. Both ends of the copper pipe are identically trimmed inside the head.

Also, our boat has heater air intake ducts from the bilge just aft of the transmission and another in the bilge under the port area under cockpit berth. These help with air circulation and lessen the boat musty smell.

Finally, our heater is mounted on the port side of the stern area, with access through the cockpit hatch and bulkhead door in the aft berth. It makes a good space except it severely limits access to the fuel tank. If you need to inspect the tank or do any repair the heater and ducts must be removed. If you install in that area, I suggest inspecting your fuel tank and replacing hoses and gaskets before you install the heater. You will be happy you did that in a few years.
Installing heating or air conditioning in our boats always involves compromises when selecting a location for these systems. When you mentioned limited access to the fuel tank, I thought about how difficult it would be to access the steering cables and water heater, also. I routinely lube the steering cables, and tension them as needed, and drain the water heater and install a bypass each season. I don't think that location would work for me.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
So, the install is coming along nicely. Here’s what I’ve done:

1. placed the exhaust through hull on the step near the port side.
2. Mounted the heater with the plate facing starboard. Research says mounting with exhaust port horizontal is OK as long as the glow plug is on top of the unit.
3. removed the cockpit shower and installed a grill to ventilate the “machinery space” which is what I call the transom space.
4.Used 3” aluminum duct through the port side aft cabinet. Then 3” aluminum/plastic flex duct through head to main salon cabinet.
5. Put a 60 mm outlet in the aft cabin.
6.Removed the cabinet in the head to run flex duct under it.
7. Cut 3 1/2” angled access to head shelf aft. This one was tricky. The shelf in the head splits the aft cabin ceiling and lazzarette floor.
8. Cut two 3” register openings in salon cabinet.
9.Removed the old battery charger and used the wiring for the heater supply.
10. Installed a Victron Blue Smart 30 amp charger inside and behind electric breaker panel.
11. Installed a slim hole standpipe in fuel tank and ran fuel lines to heater.
12.Extended LED heater control cables and used old cockpit speaker wires. Mount LED near nav station.
Ready to fire it up next week.

Attachments