Diesel fuel question - marine or auto?

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Once I get more familiar with diesels I'm sure this will be obvious but it's often best to ask.
Is there any reason to buy diesel at the marina or can I use fuel from an automobile gas station?
I have a Jerry can (reserve) to fill and its closer to the auto gas station than the marina.

Thanks,

Chris

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
On road diesel has a lower sulfur content than off road which the marina will have. Not a huge difference but the does effect the lubrication of things like the injectors and injector pump. Newer motors are designed to work with the lower sulfur but your marine motor is not. In general it is better to stick with the off road fuel. You may be able to get off road from the local service station as it is used in machinery like back hoes and such. Ask first. Off road may be cheaper as well because it often will not have road tax added to the price but that depends on the state.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
On road diesel has a lower sulfur content than off road which the marina will have. Not a huge difference but the does effect the lubrication of things like the injectors and injector pump. Newer motors are designed to work with the lower sulfur but your marine motor is not. In general it is better to stick with the off road fuel. You may be able to get off road from the local service station as it is used in machinery like back hoes and such. Ask first. Off road may be cheaper as well because it often will not have road tax added to the price but that depends on the state.
Here in Maine everything is ULSD road and off road. They literally add the dye when filling the marina tanks or the additives if it is a Valvetect dealer.. All the same fuel from the same tank farm..

What matters a bit more is that you find a marina that has good turnover...

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Beginning in 2012, locomotive and marine diesel fuel must meet the ULSD fuel standard of 15 ppm sulfur.

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
Guess it varies more by state than I thought and I may be a bit behind the regs will have to do some checking on this myself

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Fuel

Most times I use jerry jugs which I have 6 from my sailing off shore from
NY to Fl and so most times I use good fuel from gas stations with jerry jugs
and when at boat I use funnel with filter built in from WM and this way less
dirt and water of any kind is kept out of my tank.
When cruising on one of many 3 week cruises I bring a few jerry jugs with me with fuel from home but do also use Marina fuel when cruising.
I do the jerry jugs mostly to help keep the fuel I use as clean as possible and bring the jugs when cruising as backup so don't need to stop for fuel as often.
I also did add a Racor 500 filter inline before any of my normal fuel filters which have 2 filters one after tank and than the yanmar filter on the motor.
So far since 2007 have never had any fuel problems knocking on wood.
As far as the rating of the fuel if it's good for trucks than it is good for my 2007 Yanmar and change oil filter and oil 2 times per year and my Yanmar runs perfect.
Nick

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
In Texas, the marina fuel costs more than the station fuel. My understanding of this is the extra taxes paid go into a fisheries fund to improve/support the game fish in Texas. The little bit of research I did on this does not come up with relevant documentation.

You can however get a refund on the highway usage taxes for fuel used in your boat as your boat does not damage the highway while being used. About $16.50 a year for my boat. If I applied.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
By all means fill your jerry can at your local gas station. Even though you could be paying road taxes it is still likely to be cheaper than what the average Marina charges. It is the same fuel less the red dye. West Marine sells a water separator filter that you can pour the fuel through and removes water and any large particles. It can be a saver when fueling at funky Marinas.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Even though you could be paying road taxes it is still likely to be cheaper than what the average Marina charges. It is the same fuel less the red dye.
How true.

We pay about $0.20 per liter ($0.76 per USG) MORE for marine diesel than road diesel even with without the road tax.

You've got a boat, therefore you've got lots of money, therefore you don't mind paying our inflated prices.

I'll wait for someone to mention that they've got to make all of their profit during the short boating season. How do prices compare down in Florida where your season is year 'round ?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
How true.

We pay about $0.20 per liter ($0.76 per USG) MORE for marine diesel than road diesel even with without the road tax.

You've got a boat, therefore you've got lots of money, therefore you don't mind paying our inflated prices.

I'll wait for someone to mention that they've got to make all of their profit during the short boating season. How do prices compare down in Florida where your season is year 'round ?
The gas stations in Fl charge around $4/gallon compared with marina diesel at close to $5/gal. Poor power boaters...but thanks to Disney, we buy it cheaper near Orlando.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Marina and gas stations are two different markets. While a driver on the road may have choices some Marinas because of location have their market cornered and pretty much set their own prices. They claim their insurance costs and extra required maintenance on the equipment support the larger prices.

Dec 14, 2011
summer solstice CT 44 Long Beach
Diesel fuel

some marinas have additives like Biobor already in the fuel. My fuel dock has additives. The price of the fuel is about what I would have to pay on the street even without the road tax. If your taking on over 200 gallons the commerical docks will be much cheaper. As I am a sailboater I don't take on usually more than 40 gallons.

Jan 26, 2008
Hunter 31- Deale
Re: Diesel fuel

I use diesel from a gas station - add cetane boost - and pour it through a Mr. Funnel & keep the tank topped whenever possible. Never had a problem.

Jul 1, 2014
Jboat Awesome one Newport Beach
Once I get more familiar with diesels I'm sure this will be obvious but it's often best to ask.
Is there any reason to buy diesel at the marina or can I use fuel from an automobile gas station?
I have a Jerry can (reserve) to fill and its closer to the auto gas station than the marina.

Thanks,

Chris
All the same unless your boat is commercial diesel which just has a red dye. Get whatever is cheapest.

Jul 1, 2014
It's just the taxes that vary by state. If you're in an area of the country where there are lots of states then use a fuel price checker app. If you're in a big state then use a fuel price checker app. If you own a big yacht and take on hundreds of gallons then make friends with a few of the local fuel docks. Figure out which one rips you off the least (where the price breaks are). Bring them doughnuts and tip them for filling your tank. If they like you prices will be cheaper.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I use Jet A from a local airport. This was recommended by a friend that uses it in some diesel engines that he uses infrequently. Apparently it is more stable than auto diesel. I only use a few gallons a year going in and out of the slip or off and on the trailer. In three years I have not had any issues. Engine starts easy and runs well.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
I use Jet A from a local airport. This was recommended by a friend that uses it in some diesel engines that he uses infrequently. Apparently it is more stable than auto diesel. I only use a few gallons a year going in and out of the slip or off and on the trailer. In three years I have not had any issues. Engine starts easy and runs well.

Jet A is more kerosene than diesel and is missing some additives that your diesel can really use. I would suggest using the proper fuel.

It is not really more stable, it just has a higher flash point and has a lot of antifreeze in it...and is more of a solvent than diesel fuel is.

YMMV

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
There is the issue of proper dying also. marine diesel is dyed purple and auto diesel is yellow. Now if somebody really want to check (never heard of this BTW) it is technically illegal to use yellow diesel in a marine application. It is a tax thing. You do want to support the maritime community with your taxes right?

Jul 1, 2014
There is the issue of proper dying also. marine diesel is dyed purple and auto diesel is yellow. Now if somebody really want to check (never heard of this BTW) it is technically illegal to use yellow diesel in a marine application. It is a tax thing. You do want to support the maritime community with your taxes right?
Support the maritime community with some vague tax? NO, I support myself and whatever gives me the best bang for my buck.

Not say I wouldn't rescue you if you're in trouble. When it comes to finances that's different. Diesel is diesel. That's the great part about diesel. Buy whatever is cheapest. However, you do want a couple high quality diesel filters/water seperaters.