Diesel fuel line ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don't mess around. It is not worth the difference in cost. Get the A-1. You will be happy in the long run.

Jamestown has a nice article about Fuel Lines that explains the different ratings....

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
A decade ago I replaced all of the 1988 OEM fuel hoses (supply, return, vent, and fill) and wryly could observe that the printed legal spec's on the side of the hoses was around 7 or 8 inches long -- or more !
There are several layers, starting with the fuel-impermeable inner layer and progressing thru reinforcing to the outside. I just removed the fuel tank to have a small leak patched and those hoses all look "like new" compared to the stuff I recall removing last time.
*Do not go 'cheap' on this.
These hoses are often ignored for many years and are also well out-of-sight.
BTW, I found a lower price than at the usual marine stores at a local industrial hose and fittings company that does OTC sales to smaller customers. They have a wider selection of fittings also at better pricing as well.

Use some Permatex (or equivalent) product "diesel thread sealant" on all appropriate fittings, also. Double clamp all hoses on barb fittings.
Not assuming that you need any additional 'advice' but I have found that diesel fuel is ridiculously sneaky about seeping and leaking anywhere that it can do so! :)

Last edited:
May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
I found this fuel hose for replacement. Trident A1-15 (which seems to be recommended )........ now does anyone happen to know the inside diameter of the hose that fits on the nipples of the UNIVERSAL - M-25XPB.
CHEERS:beer:
2 OLD PIRATES

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
On a similar note-while working on our engine recently I bent and cracked the fuel return line from the injector block. It’s 3/16” ID and I couldn’t find it in A-1-15 anywhere. Apparently that size is used on a lot of outboards. Replacement was easy, once I had the hose. BTW, 1/4” wouldn’t work; leaked no matter how tight the hose clamp was.

May 2, 2012
JK_Boston - 5/16-inch ID for fuel supply and return 50 feet did the whole boat. 5/8-inch ID for the vent about 6 feet.

OR
marchem - On a similar note-while working on our engine recently I bent and cracked the fuel return line from the injector block. It’s 3/16” ID (is this line different than the fuel supply line ?)

So what is the actual inside diameter ? ......... 1/8" is quite a difference.

Nov 16, 2012
JK_Boston - 5/16-inch ID for fuel supply and return 50 feet did the whole boat. 5/8-inch ID for the vent about 6 feet.

OR
marchem - On a similar note-while working on our engine recently I bent and cracked the fuel return line from the injector block. It’s 3/16” ID (is this line different than the fuel supply line ?)

So what is the actual inside diameter ? ......... 1/8" is quite a difference.
The fuel line I’m talking about is a short run (maybe 6-12”?) from the injector block to a barbed fitting at the rear of the engine. The other side of the fitting connects to the 5/16” id line that returns to the tank.

Nov 16, 2012
Here’s a photo of the small ID line on the right, and the bigger one on the left.
1618354981959.jpeg

May 2, 2012
Thanks for the reply marchem. That helps to clear that up. The shop doesn't take returns .......... had to make sure.
Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
My mechanic just advised that I need to replace my fuel line, so this thread is very timely. Unfortunately his insurance carrier limited his policy to only working on engines so I am going to need to do the work. How complicated of a job is this for someone with moderate mechanical skills?

And @2 OLD PIRATES did you order the line from an online site or at a local store?

Nov 16, 2012
My mechanic just advised that I need to replace my fuel line, so this thread is very timely. Unfortunately his insurance carrier limited his policy to only working on engines so I am going to need to do the work. How complicated of a job is this for someone with moderate mechanical skills?

And @2 OLD PIRATES did you order the line from an online site or at a local store?
I haven’t replaced them, but it doesn’t look like a difficult task. Most all of the hose is exposed. Be sure to shut off the valve at the tank!

I think I bought both sizes on Amazon, but a good auto parts, or tractor, store should have it. We’ve also got a great hose shop that probably carries them, and can sell you whatever length you want.